VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:21:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help needed to remove ie7 [solved]  (Read 7085 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: September 11, 2007, 04:40:09 pm »

i'm sure a lot of people like myself in this community for different reasons have to use the inferior os from time to time. In my case i'm forced to use it at work so here is the problem. Back when they were developing ie7 i decided to take it for a spin. So i ran the install from my 'power user ' account. Used it for a couple of weeks or so after that i went back to ff  . Now i have this annoyance. I'm trying to remove the old install because it crashes every time i start it. But it wont let me do it. It's telling me that the software can only be removed from the user account that it was installed from. ( that would be my account) so in my desperation i decided to try another approach. I logged in to the administrator account only to get the very same error message. Obviously their idea of a system administrator is far from  reality. So the question still remains. How do i remove  it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 06:27:27 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:08:01 pm »

My friend did have the same problem before but he can manage to uninstall IE7 by uninstall it from the account that install the IE7 at the first place.......
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 07:16:42 pm »

IE is an integrated part of WinXP. Thus you may have to "downgrade" to IE6 vs. uninstalling IE7. If you are just wanting it to stop "crashing" then reloading IE7 may fix the problem.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:53:12 pm »

I believe after you upgrade to version 7 the windows itself will not allow you to downgrade to version 6
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:34:32 am »

IE is an integrated part of WinXP. Thus you may have to "downgrade" to IE6 vs. uninstalling IE7. If you are just wanting it to stop "crashing" then reloading IE7 may fix the problem.
HTH,
Mike

Yeah.. you would think... but it wont let me re-install a new (final) version, or uninstall the old buggy one.

You can't downgrade to IE6 either, because the installer detects the newer version, and quits.

The pickle here is that I installed it from My account. The very same account I'm in right now... trying to remove it from the same account..

The only thing that has changed is the password, they make us change passwords every 3 months or so. But the user name remains the same.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:41:50 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:57:32 am »

The only thing that has changed is the password, they make us change passwords every 3 months or so. But the user name remains the same.

maybe you try change back to the old password and uninstall it again lol...
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:26:29 am »

After messing around with it and with the help of google Wink I managed to get it done

The procedure is not pretty

it involves manually making changes to the registry to make it bypass the check it runs to see who installed it.

I found instructions here for anyone else who may run into this problem http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

I still think the "Administrator" account should have been able to remove the dang thing, no questions asked. But then again, obviously M$ thinks differently

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: