VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: CUPS - printer ready but no action  (Read 3677 times)

foxinsocks

CUPS - printer ready but no action
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

Running VL 5.8 std-RC1 on Dell Latitude CPx H laptop.
I've installed the driver and CUPS wrapper for my Brother HL-2040 laser printer and configured CUPS through VASM. Both "Print a Test Page' and printing from an application produce the following response from the printer: it gets all excited - the lights flash appropriately, the insides start to whir... and then, nothing  ???
Same happens whether I run as user or root.
In CUPS I set the Printer as Brother and the Model as either DCP-1200 or HL-1250, for reasons about to be explained. (The HL-2040 does not appear on the CUPS printer list but the DCP-1200 and the HL-1250 do.)

Now, it just so happens that I have a working setup on my desktop box (running FC5) for this printer, installed using the FC5 printer manager. Both the FC5 printer manager and CUPS give the same information - in slightly differing formats: Brother DCP-1200 Foomatic/hl1250 (recommended). I Understand this as saying "we're treating this printer as a Brother DCP-1200 using the recommended driver (hl1250)'.

It works a treat, but how do I translate that to my VL 5.8 laptop? I can set the printer as DCP-1200 or HL-1250 but I can't see how I can get CUPS on VL 5.8 to think in terms of DCP-1200 using a driver designated as HL-1250. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: CUPS - printer ready but no action
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:12:28 am »

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-2040

Did you try the HL-2060 driver? See info at the website above. It is in my CUPS drop-down Brother printer drivers list on VL SOHO 5.8...
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

foxinsocks

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »

Thanks for the help.
No, I hadn't tried HL-2060. However, following your suggestion I did, with no better result. Then I went to the link you provided. After reading stuff there and on related pages at linuxprinting.org I downloaded the .ppd file recommended and installed it. CUPS "Print Test Page" worked! OpenOffice.org prints! GIMP prints!
Again, thank you for the helpful suggestion and link  :)

foxinsocks

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:10:56 pm »

I also meant to include in my earlier reply that I suspect that this solution is how FC5/CUPS installs the printer on my desktop box.

no2thesame

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:23:40 am »

No, I hadn't tried HL-2060. However, following your suggestion I did, with no better result. Then I went to the link you provided. After reading stuff there and on related pages at linuxprinting.org I downloaded the .ppd file recommended and installed it. CUPS "Print Test Page" worked! OpenOffice.org prints! GIMP prints!
Again, thank you for the helpful suggestion and link  :)

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1594.0

There is a Vector How-To for setting up the Brother HL-2040 because I struggled with the same problem. (Got success the same way too!)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:26:38 am by no2thesame »