VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 04:11:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DCHP not working  (Read 2379 times)
imbored89

« on: September 13, 2007, 11:48:54 pm »

Hi, sorry if this is a totally newbie question, but I can't figure out whats going on.

I'm running a 5.1 Vector Linux, and my card is WMP54G (v4.1).  I got the driver up and working with ndiswrapper, and the time came to connect to my router.  So, I run:

iwconfig wlan0 up
iwlist wlan0 scan
iwconfig wlan0 essid (myessid)
dhcpcd wlan0

and nothing happens, the dhcp doesn't connect or something... I'm not quite sure.  (I've connected to my router with Backtrack using the same commands, and no problems there...)  Everything works fine until I try to do dhcpcd... Also, I rebooted and tried the more detailed instructions in the wireless networking tutorial.  Still the same problem.  Also, when I run the dhcpcd command, it gives no outputs indicating errors or anything.  It just goes back to the command line and I'm not connected.  Any advice? Thanks guys.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:07:11 am »

Try dhcpcd -ko (That will stop the dhcpcd process and keep the interfaces still up)
then use dhcpcd wlan0 agian.

Use ifconfig to check for an ipaddress. Then also
try ping to check connectivity to LAN and WAN.

You can also check /etc/resolv.conf for you DNS
server.

HTH

Bigpaws
imbored89

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:30:14 pm »

Hey thanks for the advice, but it ended up not working.  I found another forum using google, and someone had a similar problem with the dhcp.  The nature of the problem is that the drivers installed as a module doesnt work with the dhcp for some reason.  Their suggested solution was to add the drivers to the kernel and recompile the kernel, for which they posted some instructions that didnt work on my VL =\..  I looked in the kernel section of this forum, but most of the instructions are for more recent kernels, and the dl sites have versions of 2.6.18 and higher, where mine is a 2.6.12.  Maybe I should just get a newer version of VL? haha..  so lazy ;P Thanks again though
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:17:12 am »

There are no kernel drivers for that card that I am aware of. If you do
post them here.

There may also be a problem with eth0 still being active, this has happened before.

Check ifconfig for eth0. If it is there then try

dhcpcd -k

That will kill all dhcp processes.

Now ifconfig wlan0 (if that is the devoce name) up

and then try dhcpcd.

Check ifconfig for wlan0 and an ipaddress.

Bigpaws
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »

Hi, sorry if this is a totally newbie question, but I can't figure out whats going on.

I'm running a 5.1 Vector Linux, and my card is WMP54G (v4.1).  I got the driver up and working with ndiswrapper, and the time came to connect to my router.  So, I run:

iwconfig wlan0 up

You should be doing i*F*config here to get the interface up.

iwlist wlan0 scan

Does it see access points?   If so, the radio part of the card's working.

iwconfig wlan0 essid (myessid)

If you're doing WEP, you'd need to enter the key.   If you're doing WPA, you'll need some other steps (dunno what, as I don't use that).

dhcpcd wlan0

Does it time out, or what?

If you're using ndiswrapper, recompiling your kernel won't do much good unless there's a native driver available.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
fr3d0

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:15:25 pm »

i am having the same issue.  i have a dlink card using ndiswrapper and dhcpcd wont work either, same problem as OP

ndiswrapper -l shoes driver installed and device present.  i'm running a modified net8180.inf file which i modified to work with the dlink card as its actually a realtek chipset (found this info on the net and it worked flawlessly on slackware 12.0, the original dlink driver locked up every time w/ndiswrapper)

i also tried installing and running dhclient with the same symptom.. it sits there for a bit then nothing happens.

how can i obtain address from dhcpcd, all it does is sit there, time out, and remove wlan0 from ifconfig.  i modified the ifplugd.conf file as instructed in the wireless howto in the forum here.

i had this card/ndiswrapper setup working perfect in slackware 12.0 and dhclient

i do not have any encryption and the card sees the access point's essid and mac.

also: i had the same issue with the original ndiswrapper driver that was initially installed after setup, netldl i think.  same symptoms: driver installed/device present, dhcpcd timed out and did nothing)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:40:57 pm by fr3d0 » Logged
fr3d0

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:25:08 am »

i am having the same issue.  i have a dlink card using ndiswrapper and dhcpcd wont work either, same problem as OP

ndiswrapper -l shoes driver installed and device present.  i'm running a modified net8180.inf file which i modified to work with the dlink card as its actually a realtek chipset (found this info on the net and it worked flawlessly on slackware 12.0, the original dlink driver locked up every time w/ndiswrapper)

i also tried installing and running dhclient with the same symptom.. it sits there for a bit then nothing happens.

how can i obtain address from dhcpcd, all it does is sit there, time out, and remove wlan0 from ifconfig.  i modified the ifplugd.conf file as instructed in the wireless howto in the forum here.

i had this card/ndiswrapper setup working perfect in slackware 12.0 and dhclient

i do not have any encryption and the card sees the access point's essid and mac.

also: i had the same issue with the original ndiswrapper driver that was initially installed after setup, netldl i think.  same symptoms: driver installed/device present, dhcpcd timed out and did nothing)

just wanted to say this problem is gone now, i dont know what fixed it but here's what happened

modified ifplug.conf, rebooted, modprobe ndiswrapper, iwlist scan, iwconfig wlan0 essid essidname, dhcpcd wlan0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: