VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 03:32:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuzzy Text in X-Windows  (Read 4838 times)
bobbear43

Retired computer scientist and educator

« on: September 14, 2007, 07:56:55 am »

I have just installed VL Standard and dealing with all the configuration issues. The text on my desktop is "fuzzy." The graphics are also sightly fuzzy. Is this normal? Any idea how to fix? It's readable but not attractive.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:06:41 am »

You could check in the XFCE setting manager.  There are a couple controls in one of those options to control antialiasing and subpixel hinting, etc - however I don't think this will affect the graphics.

If you're using an LCD (flat-screen) monitor then it may as simple as pressing the auto-adjust button on the monitor.  I find that I have to do that when I switch between (physical) systems.  It sure is easy to try Cheesy

HTH
bobbear43

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:17:51 am »

I should have said that it is an IBM Thinkpad 600E laptop. Yes. LCD screen. No autoadjust button that I know about. It is running only VL. It had Windoze XP on it and simply bogged down with XP and anti-virus and networking. Trying Linux to revive it to make it useful again. It's lighter than my other laptop, and would be handy for my writing and occasional Internet access. So far it runs far faster than with Windoze XP.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:59:51 am »

Sounds like it might not be running at the native LCD resolution.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:21:14 am »

Sounds like it might not be running at the native LCD resolution.

It does sound that way.

Bob, Do you know what your current resolution is?  You should be able to find out using XFCE's Setting Manager.

It looks like your laptop has: 13.3" TFT active matrix screen 1024x768 resolution so you should achieve best screen quality using 1024x768 resolution.
bobbear43

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:35 pm »

OK. Yes my laptop supports 1024X768. However, XFCE only gives me choices from 800X600 and lower. How do I change this?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 01:52:19 pm »

You will need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Always is a good idea to backup the file first. Login as root and open the file with the text editor of your choice. Find the section that looks like this (or similar):

Code:
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"

And edit it to look like this:

Code:
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Edit the other modes in the same way, or if you are lazy like me Wink; edit just your default mode.

Oh I forgot to say you need to restart the x server to make the changes to take effect.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bobbear43

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 02:21:46 pm »

GRACIAS!  Grin Grin
Been a LONG time since I used UNIX or Linux! (Or the IBM variant AIX)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 02:24:48 pm »

GRACIAS!  Grin Grin
Been a LONG time since I used UNIX or Linux! (Or the IBM variant AIX)

DE NADA!!  Grin Grin
Dont worry, is like riding a bike.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bobbear43

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 02:29:39 pm »

Huh Huh
OK I did that. And the xorg.conf file now says "1024x768" as the first entry on every mode line.
BUT when i restart VL cold start the choice is still not there.
bobbear43

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:31:20 pm »

xrandr results also do not show 1024x768 either.
How do I get XFCE to recognize this?
bobbear43

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 02:57:16 pm »

DOOdooDOOdooDOOdooo
That's the Twilight Zone sound we used to make in the software lab when suddenly something worked and we didn't know why.
I now have 1024X768 attractive screen. The only thing I changed ... which I didn't know if it would do anything ... was unclick "save session default" or whatever it says when you quit or restart.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:57:07 pm by bobbear43 » Logged
bobbear43

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:11:18 pm »

For others.
If the resolution is corrected, and the characters are too small on icons and in menus, the font and size of the font can be changed in Settings->User Interface Settings.
If the monitor is an LCD and characters are still "fuzzy" turn on anti-aliasing in the same setting menu, see if that helps, then sub-pixel hinting and hinting. Results are shown immediately.

So, why did this happen in the first place? When this Thinkpad ran Windows 98/NT/2000/XP, everything rendered correctly no matter the resolution. But IBM designed it specifically for Windows 98/NT, and it may be that VL and XCFE4 do not have the same access to all functions in the video card as Windoze.

As a Windoze machine with each OS load however it became slower and less and less useful as a computer. In W-XP, networking and virus checking overwhelmed it to the point that it would become useless when connected to the Internet. With VL it now runs great. The first Linux I tried on this machine was Linux-XP which absolutely sucked in terms of configuration and documentation. The screen was horrible at any resolution with Linux-XP.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:02:48 pm by bobbear43 » Logged
mram50

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »

Just wondering..
I'm still working out of the "live" version and get the dinky little screen and wonder if that can and/or should even be changed? Naturally I would have to write it to the CD and don't even know how to do that anyway, but...nevermind..answered my own question.. Ignore me. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: