VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 01:20:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The New vpackager Thread - take a peak  (Read 41568 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: September 14, 2007, 08:07:42 am »

I thought I'd show you guys the status of the new vpackager in the works.

Summary:
In addition to the old vpackager's features, the new release will feature the capabilities to build Cmake applications as well as to packaging python applications.
It auto-guesses the source type, and converts the necessary build options to make a successful build (hopefuly Wink ) on it's own.
A major inprovement (IMO) is the new "Build from cruxports" feature. This is basically a front end to the cruxports4slack that everyone is talking about.
It is written in gambas2, with no bash backend.
The interface remains similiar to the old one for the most part, with a few minor changes, but as far as functionality goes, I believe you guys are gonna like this.

I'll let you all take a peek at the good stuff.

When you fire it up, You'll see this window:

If you chose to build from source, you'll see this

When you make your selection and click next, you'll see this

After the package is built, you can choose to install it, if you do, you'll see this

The slack-desc editor for new slack-desc looks similar to the old one:

Notepad for editing existing description files and .desktop files:

If you choose to Edit an existing package, You'll see this:

And of course, The brand new Build from crux interface:

ATM, I'm in the process of polishing it up a bit, it should be ready for release within the next couple of weeks or so.

Fire up the input!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:47:10 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:59:02 am »

Moe,

I am totally blow away! It's beautiful!
About the Cruxports portion of it.  Will/did our mods mess you up?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:04:07 am »

Moe,

I am totally blow away! It's beautiful!
About the Cruxports portion of it.  Will/did our mods mess you up?

More like inspired me Wink
I saw how some of you wanted this thing to build from scripts, but I think this is a much better addition.

Well, uel-sk8s suggested the idea about a week ago on IRC, and I said I'd give it a try.

I think it's a great addition to the project, and an absolutely necessary tool as well.
My front end provides fast and easy search on ports, so the user doesn't have to go through a long list.

In the future, this front end will be able to modify the pkgfiles as well as hopefully add ports repos.
I figure, put this together, plus the old vpackager functions, make it build Cmake sources, package python applications, and you got a pretty handy tool here.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:24:57 am »

Looks great and brings lots of new features.
Fantastic!
Toe

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:55 pm »

Hm, a cruxports4slack frontend, eh?  Interesting.  Is there any reason you went that route over, say, Emerde (a port of Gentoo's Portage system to Slackware)?

Didn't follow the old thread too closely, sorry if this question has already been answered.  Lips sealed
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:03:21 pm »

Wow Moe, that looks great! The interface looks cleaner now, and the new features are awesome. I think this is turning like some kind of ide. Ok you dont write code with vpackager, but you handle different files and process at the same time. May be is a good idea to take that approach for the gui. You could edit Makefiles, build scripts, desc files, etc, in different tabs. A browser panel for easy navigation and access to the files as in the ide programs could be implemented. And you can handle the hole process from a main tab.

Congratulations and we are looking forward to test this new features!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:19:24 pm »

Hm, a cruxports4slack frontend, eh?  Interesting.  Is there any reason you went that route over, say, Emerde (a port of Gentoo's Portage system to Slackware)?

Didn't follow the old thread too closely, sorry if this question has already been answered.  Lips sealed

This is my first shot at something like this... and we just started using cruxports4slack... so, there it is

Toe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:07:17 pm »

Fair enough.  And I suppose down the road you could always add more if desired.  I'd wager Gentoo's repo is much larger than Crux's.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 03:23:18 pm »

absolutely. if you take a look at the old thread you can see how this project has evolved from a simple bash script to what it is now. There is a lot of room for expansion and i think this is a useful addition to the project

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »

wow  Shocked

Ok,i absolutely love the new vecpac or should we call it otherwise?
The inclusion of cruxports4slack is a very helpfull feature which will save us the time to google for source tarballs of what we need.
This MUST be included in vector 6 final. Its gonna blow them away.

I've got two questions:
> Do you need any graphic files or polish of old ones?
> is it possible that vlpackager creates slackbuild files of packages it creates, maybe for future releases.

the cruxports penguin icon should look like the official one:

There is a note about cruxports4slack:
"don't install
Crux's port of "core/filesystem", "core/rc" or "core/pkgutils" on Slackware. "
 there should be a note or they should be filthered out (if not already filthered by crux4slack)?

> It would also be great if the user could not only preview the build script, but also edit it (to change version number,etc) and even save it as.. Kiss 

also At http://crux.nu/portdb/ is a huge collection
of other port repositories. With this you can easily build
Slackware packages for almost every Open Source Software
available.
would be nice if user could use different repositories ( the repo to be configurable in the settings dialogue )
...but i guess that depends on crux4slack development,not vpackager... so anyways, this is one great addition to the packager.
Also,would it be possible (if not already avaiable through cruxports4slack) that it could use a repository that contains build scripts that are not version dependend- that build from svn,git,cvs or something like that. Having the option to add repositories for buildscripts, VL comunity would be able to submit such scripts.

awesome!  Grin
Thank you for developing this amazing piece of software,moe. Vpackager is getting more and more powerful with each release...it exceeded my expectations.

EDIT: Ok,i was so excited that i got to read all the replies from the thread right now. So you are already thinking of the modify buildscript and use different repositories features. This is far better than expected.I never thought you would go for crux. Genius.

maybe http://emerde.freaknet.org/ could be included in future releases. But emerde should be modified just to make packages,not resolve dependencies and install from source directly.... I wonder if its possible to use the same gui frontend on both crux4slack and emerde. Crux is a better choice in my view and probably all the user would need. Still things are getting pretty interesting on the slackware scene. In past years debian got ahead of other distros with its apt-get, now that slackware not only got slapt-get, but it is also adopting get-source-build-package-install systems... It is getting ahead of others by combining in a simple and more free to move way sweet features from the open source world. Making all this avaiable on vector linux and making it configurable and easy to manage just proves vector to be the best slackware based distro out there.

I am also sure that others will be interested in this project or parts of it. Expect to see more folk at the googlecode page.

also,you should change the name:
vlpack or something thats not owned by someone else
Vecpac is occupied by a vector drawing library or something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:51:08 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Toe

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 12:02:18 pm »

In the long term, what do you see as the lifecycle of a package created from this?  Is this strictly just for generating a single .tlz package, or will users be installing them from the same interface?  If I build a package from Cruxports, will it automatically build its dependencies too, and if so, will it also figure out what dependencies I actually need vs ones already on my system?  What about upgrades?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 12:31:41 pm »

The life cycle for packages created with this utility is ultimately left out to the user. The application can install the packages upon user request. As far as the crux front end goes this interface will not do anything that the actual back end is unable to do. if you don't have dependancies installed for the application you are compiling the build will fail whether you are building by hand or using this application.

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:40:40 pm »

Quote from: blurymind
the cruxports penguin icon should look like the official one:

Yeah...but the cruxports penguin looks a bit retarded  Cheesy

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 01:22:07 pm »

Have to agree with easuter. That penguin looks mighty ugly. I say for penguin, we keep what I have on there...

@ Blurymind, I will PM you what I need.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 03:38:17 pm »

Looks really good! So good in fact, I just may start playing around with building packages when this is released!!!  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: