VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 05:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Belkin Wireless PCMCIA F5D7010 v. 5000 Driver  (Read 10414 times)
bobbear43

Retired computer scientist and educator

« on: September 14, 2007, 08:09:35 am »

I have read many entries related to Belkin cards. Unfortunately drivers are different for each of 3 versions of the card. The chipset in this driver for this particular version 5000 is Atheros, and the source of a driver is Madwifi. I have downloaded the file from Madwifi, but it wil not compile in VL properly. It wants to set a target environment, and the info it gets from VL results in a blank environment variable when it is trying to compile for a "i386" environment.  Huh

Another route would be to use ndiswrapper and the driver inf file. I do not have the CD for the card, and downloading the latest Wiindoze drivers from Belkin or elsewhere gets a self-extracting exe which does not extract files except on install. I cannot do that on my desktop in Windows XP because the install process requires the card to be inserted to complete the install before it copies the driver files, and of course there is no PCMCIA slot. GRRRR! In any case as an example another Belkin CD which I have only has the same type of exe file on it and no file cabinet or folders .... which it creates on the desktop in temporary files during the install process.

The diver file for this version of the card is allegedly blkwgn.inf. Does anyone have that file and willing to share it?

With growing interest in Linux, why aren't manufacturers making this easier for us?
bobbear43

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:40:37 am »

I found a trick I had totally forgotten about .... renaming a self-extracting .exe to .zip and extracting files. I have extracted the files from Belkin's download self-extracting .exe for this card. As a result I have the .inf file and the .sys file. Is the .inf file all I need to use in ndiswrapper? Assume I'm stupid please and tell me all the steps necessary or point me to an example. THANKS!
bobbear43

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:48:14 am »

I found easuter's directions, so I wil follow this and report if it worked for me.
bobbear43

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 11:50:24 am »

I have followed all instuctions for ndiswrapper, and everything worked. EXCEPT ifconfig does not report wlan0 and "ifconfig wlan0 up" says no such device.

One always looks for what is different.
ndiswrapper -l:
blkwgn : driver installed device (168C:001A) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)

lspci:
02:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I keep working and not waiting......
iwconfig shows an entry ath0 equal to my card and no wlan0 device. The ath0 entry has all the correct info about the ESSID and card.

"Note for VectorLinux 5.8 Standard users:
Use GSlapt or slapt-get to update NdisWrapper to the version provided in the repository."

Did that have relevancy to what I already did? Is the ndiswrapper in VL which I just installed 2 days ago down-level? If so, how to I update NdisWrapper?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:27:10 pm by bobbear43 » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 12:42:52 pm »

bobbear43, that howto needs to be updated as well  Wink

I had answered you problems about the wlan0 interface in the howto (see here http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1282.msg27946#msg27946), but this is indeed a more appropriate place to continue discussing your wireless issues.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:07:23 pm by easuter » Logged

bobbear43

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 01:21:20 pm »

OK. I am working on the ath0 interface. I ran VASM and it configured wireless networking as well as some things it had never asked me about before.
Following your instructions for ath0 same as for wlan0:

ifconfig ath0 lists correct

ifconfig ath0 up works - no errors (later .... how do I get this to work automatically on boot?)

iwlist ath0 scan reports "interface doesn't support scanning : Invalid argument"

iwconfig ath0 has all the correct info

iwconfig ath0 mode Managed works - no errors

iwconfig ath0 channel Auto reports "Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) : SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument."

iwconfig ath0 ap any works - no errors

dhcpcd - t 25 -d ath0 returns the MAC address and exits

anything need fixing? how do i then connect? how do i start the wireless connection? vwifi-connect keeps reporting that dhcpcd is not running if i specify the ESSID. i issue command "dhcpcd" as root with no errors, but vwifi-connect still says dhcpcd not running.

I posted in the Madwifi forums about the compile for Vector Linux but got no response so far. The hype says it is platform independent, but then the readme files list a limited number of Linux versions. When I was an IBM developer, we tested on every Linux we could get our hands on and made sure we had no system dependencies! The source files for Madwifi are system dependent, and the comments don't give a hint how to change the target system except on the make command .... which has no effect. The code is getting a return from VL that doesn't match its valid system targets. I have no ambition to crawl through all their code and figure out how to bypass the target specification but I suspect it creates workable binary for any I386 or I486. Their source has errors, also, such as expecting files to be in certain directories. I played like I did when I was a developer and resolved each problem as it appeared, but then at the end of its makefile it fails on the system target. I think that's the only error left.

Getting this card to work .... or giving up and getting another one which comes with Linux support .... is the main thing I need to do to be able to proceed with anything else I want to do with this computer. The sound card still doesn't work but that is not important until maybe much later. For this laptop, I need to connect to the Internet, some day connect in my home network which has both ethernet and wireless, use AbiWord for editing, check email, and nothing else is important.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 01:37:04 pm »

When dhcpcd is used with the "-d" flag, then it will also return the IP address assigned to your card if it succeeds in associating with the access point.
In this case it looks like it failed, since you say it only returned the MAC address, nothing else.

Could you please post the output if iwconfig?

Anyhow, it appears that it would be best to use the Atheros drivers instead of ndiswrapper, but we can get to that in a bit.

bobbear43

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:44:11 am »

root:# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:0 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/94  Signal level=-95 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I had not set ath0 up when I did this iwconfig command. It had the correct ESSID in other checks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:45:46 am by bobbear43 » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:32:05 pm »

Do you have any encryption set on that network (Wep/WPA)?

bobbear43

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 02:33:01 pm »

The WLAN is protected by MAC address filtering, no WEP or WPA. The MAC address is already enabled on the WLAN.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 02:41:29 pm »

After configuring the interface, but before running dhcpcd, run this command to force an unrestricted connection:

Code:
iwconfig ath0 key off

Then after that try to connect with dhcpcd.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:33:58 am by easuter » Logged

bobbear43

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:42:52 am »

iwlist ath0 key off returns no error message but returns a usage list which would I think indicates that it doesn't like that command.

vasm is able to connect to the router. however the router does not show the mac address or host name in its dhcp client list, and the mac address filtering would normally pick up the host name and list it, and it does not. dhcpcd is not able to connect. i turned off mac address filtering for a try but no better result.

also changed the essid on the wireless router in case there was some other belkin54g nearby. after changing the essid for ath0, vasm was able to connect again using the new essid. however the connection does not appear to actually work or persist, or can you use the connection while vasm is connected?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:15:34 am by bobbear43 » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 01:33:43 am »

Sorry, that was a typo, its supposed to be iwconfig, not iwlist  Embarrassed

bobbear43

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 11:20:28 am »

ath0 key was already off.
command iwconfig ath0 key off - no errors
dhcpcd does not connect
vasm reports connected to essid roberto which is correct essid
router does not see the laptop however
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 12:00:28 pm »

Is it possible that the VL firewall is blocking the dhcp ip assigment somehow?  Perhaps try rebooting, disable firewall, then attempt connecting wirelessly.  If it works then some manual adjustments to the firewall would probably fix the situation.

This may be especially important if you're router assigns 192.168.1+ ip addresses since the default VL firewall is configured for 192.168.0.x ip addresses, and if you're not on the 192.168.0.x range then you're blocked via firewall.

EDIT:
The firewall configuration file is located: /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall.  Then just adjust the PERMIT= line to fit your local network needs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:02:33 pm by newtor » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: