VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 08:50:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: sluggish response, cpu maxes  (Read 5567 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 11:57:22 am »

100% CPU usage which surfing net using seamonkey....
Now that could be flash. Or Adobe Acrobat, if you were using that... Roll Eyes

Use "top" or "htop" to see what process is actually consuming all that CPU time....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 08:25:58 am »

100% CPU usage which surfing net using seamonkey....
Now that could be flash. Or Adobe Acrobat, if you were using that... Roll Eyes

Use "top" or "htop" to see what process is actually consuming all that CPU time....

usually is the X and seamonkey-bin that taking a lot of the CPU usage....
it could be due to the flash or other fancy eye-candy in the website nowaday....... Embarrassed
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 01:48:35 pm »

Yeah, plugins don't show up in top or ps or whatever looks at programs, since the plugin is loaded "into" another program. It's a dynamically loaded (?) library rather than a separate program.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 08:52:33 pm »

the same problem happen to me.....I am using a Compaq M300 with VL 58 GOLD
sometime it will show 100% CPU usage which surfing net using seamonkey....
below is the hardware spec

Display               12.1-inch color TFT XGA
Processor         Intel Pentium III 600-MHz
Cache Memory    256-KB integrated
Memory              320 MB SDRAM
Hard Drive        12-GB SMART
Modem                Mini-PCI v.90 modem / 10/100 TX NIC Combo
Graphics         ATI RAGE LT Pro - 4MB of SGRAM
Audio                   Compaq Premier· Sound™

does it really due to the built-in graphic?
I have the exact same box, it roxx!!! I upgraded the harddisk to 80 GB though. I occasionally get some trouble with firefox eating up all my speed (I don't use Seamonkey), but I agree with Joe. It's probably either Flash, or the mplayer plugin.. my bet is on Flash. The ATI RAGE might suck under Linux (It actually plays quake2 rather well in winDOS), but I don't think it'll cause the cpu to spike....

hi headacher, since you and me have the same type of laptop. What WM you use? I xfce4 by default but was trying on fluxbox. Fluxbox do use less resources but when I surf the net using seamonkey or other browser, the same problem happen. What modification that you do to your system to make it become more faster?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:13 pm »

I use KDE Grin, on 5.8 SOHO. I trimmed it down quite a bit though:

- removed the bulk packages I don't use (kdegames, -toys, -network, -pim, -edu, perhaps some others as well)
- turned off animated stuff, and aRts (it's evil!!!)
- turned off all the services I don't use (cron, samba, cups).

I use KDE because I prefer some programs that use qt as well (amarok, kaffeine, kmix, kpdf), so a lot of the libs that would have to be loaded for these programs under another wm are probably already loaded for KDE. Here's a screenie of memory usage in KDE:

Note that this is with just one tab in firefox, amarok, kmix and yakuake running. If I need something lighter I usually switch to IceWM. I use it because I'm used to it (from VL 5.1) , not sure how well it performs compared to other WM's. When firefox starts to eat all my resources I usually just close it and open a new one.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 12:01:55 am »

I have a problem when streaming video with realplayer. The CPU usage gets higher and higher until the system freezes. Now besides watching the video I have to watch the CPU usage display on gkrellm and stop realplayer before it's too late.
Htop indicates 100 % usage.

Should this be normal for realplayer?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: