VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 10:30:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any ideas why I got a corrupt filesystem error on reboot? (solved)  (Read 2298 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: September 14, 2007, 08:15:44 pm »

This afternoon,  my Vector 5.8 system (loaded on an Omnibook 900b pentium 3) began to slow way down and the fan stayed on.  After closing a lot of programs, fan went off, but still sluggish (mouse jumped, etc). I did cntrl-alt backspace (signed out) and still sluggish.  So I rebooted and in coming up got a corrupt file system error, saying that I could go to root and see what was going on (I have reserif).  Did that, went to /home, and nothing was there (My data files are on hda3).  Tried rebooting several times.  Same error.

So I loaded puppy and saved everything with its excellent cdwriter. 

I then rebooted, ready to type fsck /dev/hda3, to see if I could get past error.  And it went through to the gui page!  I am writing this on it now and it seems to be working fine.  Now. Even though I repaired nothing, either in Vector or Puppy.

Any thoughts on what happened and what to do if it happens again (or perhaps what to do to prevent it from happening again)?

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:18:17 am by lawquest » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 07:37:36 am »

Possibly a failing hard drive? You might want to go to the HD manufacturer's website, download their bootable diagnostic diskette for that drive, and double check that is not an issue for you.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:44:31 pm »

What filesystem are you using?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:56:53 pm »

reiserFS

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:28:58 pm »

Status report re corrupted file system:

Even though it booted up into Vector 5.8 fine, LOCATE did not work.  Said it couldn't find slocate or some such.  UPDATEDB would not work either, for same reason.

So I booted into text mode and from root umounted /dev/hda3 and ran fsck /dev/hda3 and all was fine. Figured problem was in hda2.

Then, being unable to umount hda2, I booted into user mode 1 (hard to do for me--perhaps put instructions on the Penquin screen?), and umounted /dev/hda2

fsck showed error.  Said rebuild-tree but could not from fsck.  Finally tried

reiserfsck /dev/hda2 --rebuild-tree

and that worked.

System seems fine now but am still cautious.

Thanks

John

orasis

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 05:21:33 pm »

reiserFS

John

Reiser is very sensitive to abrupt quits/power-failures/ etc... it is not as 'hardy' as EXT3 - this seems to be a documented failing of the ReiserFS... so be careful. - when in ReiserFS I would always advise to when you can... shutdown the proper way... and when a power failure occurs... to pray Smiley

Vxt

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:13:10 am »

Sorry to disagree  ~ But that is simply not true Re Reiserfs

Do NOT kill a running desktop via Ctrl+Alt+Bspc

If any Apps running in background ->  It WILL sooner or later corrupt your files
(no chance to write back to drive/s before closing GUI session)

Write Back Modes

Instead, use (ps ax) or (top) to find bad process
 & (kill -9  n_xx)  {n _xx is Process I.D_ number from either above utility}
 to kill any hung Apps -

Plse refer to (man ps,  top,   & kill)

A failing  hard drive will AWAYS  give lots of warnings before dying !
Long prior to failure, there  will be odd read failures - repetitive attempts
& screen error Msgs

UNLESS it is a sudden drive device bearing failure (highly unlikely)

Many BIOS's  have S.M.A.R.T. feature

Helps to also check in /var/log or /tmp for system event  Msgs

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: