VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Ethernet Card - Caveat Emptor - Don't Believe the Package  (Read 1764 times)

bobbear43

• Retired computer scientist and educator
Ethernet Card - Caveat Emptor - Don't Believe the Package
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:43:34 am »

I have an old USB Belkin Ethernet NIC which VASM configured exactly with no fiddling, but it's USB 1.0 and as well the Thinkpad 600E is also and thus the result is pretty slow. So I thought I would buy a PCMCIA card. I found one from DLink which said it was supported for Linux on the box. After opening the box, the guide says the Linux support is not included and can be obtained from sourceforge.net for Linux 2.2-2.4. Investigating on sourceforge I found that there was no driver yet for the card. So I took it back and got a refund.

My fault but more investigatin is required BEFORE purchsing for VL.

newt

• Vectorian
Re: Ethernet Card - Caveat Emptor - Don't Believe the Package
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:15:03 pm »

It actually sounds like "more investigatin is required BEFORE purchsing for any newer linux distro" since most newer distros use the 2.6+ kernel.  But that's neither here nor there....

I _think_ I've seen a thread around here talking about which wireless network cards are best suited for linux and VL, specifically.  My guess is you'll find a card that's more suited for VL and costs a little less.  I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of.

newt

• Vectorian