VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 03:30:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks the goods for me  (Read 2720 times)
Longboard

« on: September 17, 2007, 12:35:15 am »

Hello from Down under.

Worn out with M$
Have been trying out the various distros
Complete nerf at using Linux so far; trying to catch up

Very much like the looks of Vector SOHO and support and am trying it in VM: very excited

No coder me: humble end user.  Embarrassed
I'm really hoping this goes well
Installed from .iso in VMWorkstation: all good: rocket speed  Cheesy
All goodies seem to be working
Avoided the video issue after failed install and then googling

Just having some "issues" with installing Xorg I think from .iso
Also issues with VMWare tools.

I'll post in another subforum.

Regards.  Cool
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:42:38 am »

Good to hear it's working fine now. Keep on having fun with Vector.

I wouldn't be able to help you with the vmtools problem, but hopefully somebody will come along with the answer.
I use VirtualBox, which gives me no problems with Vector (except that you shouldn't pick the X auto configuration in the installer).

Since you like it, why not installing it in a partition?

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:52:30 am »

Quote from: wcs
Since you like it, why not installing it in a partition?
Yeah, that was what I was thinking ;-)

I know nothing about Virtual Machines, so I'm not initiated in the secret benefits of running two operating systems simultaneously. To me it sounds like you're dragging an anchor up the stairs. But I'm probably just proving my ignorance saying this :-o

Anyway, glad you like it. It's fast, isn't it?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:02:20 am »

To me it sounds like you're dragging an anchor up the stairs

Cheesy Well, virtual machines help me running Windows, which I need for one single program. I find VirtualBox to be very fast and functional as long as you have enough RAM (and the version which is not completely open source)

Oh, and for upgrading the firmware on my mp3 player... why, oh why, do these firmware programs only launch in windows??  Angry
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:10 am »

Hello from Down under.

Wow, another fellow Aussie.  Good to see we're not as under-represented as I thought Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 04:42:15 am »

Welcome Longboard

Hello from Down under.

Wow, another fellow Aussie.  Good to see we're not as under-represented as I thought Smiley

There might soon be a few more of us.

For Software Freedom Day (last weekend),  our local LUG "distributed" about 300CDs at Newcastle Uni and the local computer market. 50 of those CDs (for interested people with older machines) were Vector SOHO 5.8. see http://www.newcastlelug.org/
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 04:40:24 am »

Welcome Longboard

Hello from Down under.

For Software Freedom Day (last weekend),  our local LUG "distributed" about 300CDs at Newcastle Uni and the local computer market. 50 of those CDs (for interested people with older machines) were Vector SOHO 5.8. see http://www.newcastlelug.org/

This tempts me to try to get QUT to drop Redhat (and ADIOS) in favour of Slack (and by extension, Vector) Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:22:48 am »

This tempts me to try to get QUT to drop Redhat (and ADIOS) in favour of Slack (and by extension, Vector) Smiley

About two years ago I said "adios" to my fedora core 2, and said "hello" to VL.  My distro hoping ended there. Smiley

Welcome to VL!

boneygamba

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:19 am »

Welcome Longboard

Hello from Down under.

...like me!
Hey, the first week in ages that I missed the fair at Broadmeadow! Sorry to have missed your stall.

I have been using VL since January on my new computer that i bought in bits from that very computer fair! In fact, Vector Linux was the only distribution amongst 5 or 6 that would install on the new hardware that i had bought! I have not looked back to the other distribution that I had been using for years! It seems so....bloated now.

So chalk up another Newcastle, NSW, Australia Vector Linux user!

Since I have opened my mouth, I would just like to add that having used Linux for about 6 or 7 years now (and computers since my TRS-80 Model III Basic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80#Model_III), never has my computing experience been so smooth and trouble free. Thank you, and congratulations to all the people involved, including the contributors to this forum.

Regards

boneygamba

ps. Hello everyone.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »

The Uni event was not official, some of our LUG members are students and one is (I think) Engineering staff so we got to use a room there.  I don't know what Linux the Uni uses (I didn't get to the event and none of my kids go to Newcastle Uni). In any case, go gently in trying to change officialdom.... Redhat is better than nothing!

Personally, I find the best way to have people try Vector (and I wish we had a more recent SOHO Live CD) is to suggest that it is the best distro for any box running at 1GHz or under. That is how it was part of the Software Freedom Day programme. Most of the people in LOGIN use *buntu or other Debian based distros, so most of the CDs given away were the latest Ubuntu.

I did give a lot of VL away at the markets though and found it to be really positive, see more of my experiences at our Learners Group : http://groups.google.com/group/westlakes-linux-learners/browse_thread/thread/c8eff2e8b79b304e

About two years ago I said "adios" to my fedora core 2, and said "hello" to VL.  My distro hoping ended there. Smiley

Was that "distro hopping" that ended, Kidd? While there's life there's hope! But I know what you mean... Vector is one smooth distro after trying the others.

...like me!
Hey, the first week in ages that I missed the fair at Broadmeadow! Sorry to have missed your stall.

I have been using VL since January on my new computer that i bought in bits from that very computer fair! In fact, Vector Linux was the only distribution amongst 5 or 6 that would install on the new hardware that i had bought! I have not looked back to the other distribution that I had been using for years! It seems so....bloated now.

So chalk up another Newcastle, NSW, Australia Vector Linux user!

Since I have opened my mouth, I would just like to add that having used Linux for about 6 or 7 years now (and computers since my TRS-80 Model III Basic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80#Model_III), never has my computing experience been so smooth and trouble free. Thank you, and congratulations to all the people involved, including the contributors to this forum.

Regards

boneygamba

ps. Hello everyone.

Good to hear from you boneygamba! Big welcome - first post too!

Doesn't Vector scream on later model hardware? My daughter's 2.0 Ghz P4 notebook is pretty much never booted into Windows now. 

Yep this is my 8th year with Linux, 3rd with Vector. It's all good!

Do you come to LOGIN? I would love to have another Vectorite there. If you are located near the lake it would be great to see you at Learners too.

Welcome aboard!

no2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: