VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 04:46:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ho do I create a desktop shortcut?  (Read 3066 times)
will1105

« on: September 17, 2007, 05:38:33 am »

For example, I want gaim to be on my desktop so I don't have to go through the menus to run it
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:43:17 am »

What version of VL are you using? I think xfce and KDE deal with this differently. But what should always work (as long as the desktop environment understands .desktop files) is copy the .desktop file to your desktop:
Code:
cp /usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop ~/Desktop/gimp
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:09:08 am by Joe1962 » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:10:11 am »

The Headacher: I took the liberty of moving "cp" inside the code block, hope you don't mind... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
will1105

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:15:59 am »

Thanks--that was easy. But what if I want to create a brand new shortcut that is not already on the system?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:03:01 am »

The Headacher: I took the liberty of moving "cp" inside the code block, hope you don't mind... Wink
No, I don't :-). I usually read my draft before posting it, but I guess I missed one.

But what if I want to create a brand new shortcut that is not already on the system?
That depends on what version of VL you're using

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
will1105

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:07:15 am »

VL 5.8 running on this: so cool

http://www.koolu.com/

Yes I destroyed Ubuntu and went with Vector--they are not happy...
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:17:39 am »

For XFCE 4.4 in 5.8 Standard: Right-click on an existing desktop icon, then select "Desktop", "Create Launcher".

For KDE: Don't have access to KDE right this minute, but it's pretty simple: Right-click anywhere on the desktop and find something like "New" or "Create", then follow the logic from there...

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:14:24 pm »

Having created numerous shortcuts (yay, Windows mentality) I can honestly say that creating a desktop icon in VL is fairly similar to what you do in Windows.  Right-click, Create New.

From here, if you want a link to an app, choose Link to Application.  If you want a folder, Link to Folder (say, if you want your shared-with-windows folder on the desktop, you'd then type into the dialog /mnt/win and you'd be set).

With the applications, put in full paths to avoid any problems, especially if you intend to use an alias'd command (like Shutdown.)  To continue my own experience, putting "Shutdown -h now" in the command-line section of the dialog would result in frustrating errors, whereas "/sbin/shutdown -h now" worked.  Now, I could've put "/sbin" in the Working Path section.

Final note if you're going to be using alias'd commands like shutdown or similar - make sure you've given your user appropriate permissions in the sudoers file.  This is especially important if you want folks who never touch linux to be able to run basic things (like shutting down) without having to know your root password (and yes, I know that KDE is windows-looking enough for most instances, but some folks just completely jack up at something even slightly different)

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: