Author Topic: Version of VL that supports a scanner?  (Read 2891 times)

Rocdef

Version of VL that supports a scanner?
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:40:37 pm »
I recently purchased a Compaq computer with a Pentium III processor operating at 733 Mhz. It has 128 MB of ram and a 15GB hard drive. I am interested in using this computer to make records with a scanner( Benq model SZW 5000U (other model # 6661-93A)) and a CD-writer(Verbatim model VBT522452X). I have Benq Mira Scan software with the scanner and Nero 55 software with the CD-writer. Both devices and their respectve software recommend that they be used with a Windows operating system.   Is there a version of Vectorlinux that will support both of these devices?      Will the downloads vecsoho-3.2.iso and VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso constitute complete startup disks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 04:32:36 pm by Joe1962 »

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Version of VL that supports a scanner?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:15:08 pm »
The CD is definetely supported and the scanner should work fine up to 600DPI. I suggest you use VL5.8-Std-Gold and yes it is a complete install CD with all the applications you will probably ever need. You are borderline though with only 128MB or RAM. Some large applications such as Firefox may take quite a few seconds to load up on only 128MB.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Version of VL that supports a scanner?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:07:28 am »
May be you want to try the nice fluxbox package from the repo, it will save ram for the apps. I usually get around 45 megs of ram usage after booting fluxbox.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!