VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:44:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Sound Output?  (Read 1814 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: September 18, 2007, 09:48:23 pm »

If I play a sound from the command line or by a cron job I get an output either on the terminal or from the cron job a message is send to a mail box.

@~:$ .growl

Input Filename : /home/peter/sound/growl.wav
Sample Size    : 8-bits
Sample Encoding: unsigned
Channels       : 1
Sample Rate    : 22050

Time: 00:01.53 [00:00.00] of 00:01.53 ( 100.0%) Output Buffer:  33.73K

Since I have quarter hourly chimes and half hourly time announcement I had to put a block in order that the mail box will not fill up uselessly.

Why this sound output and how can it be stopped?

If I recall right it started with one of the 2.6 kernels.

Regards
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:05:08 pm »

I'm not sure what you use to play the wavefile, but "aplay" never sent me a mail.

How's about you post us the "growl" script?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:20:11 am »

I'm not sure what you use to play the wavefile, but "aplay" never sent me a mail.

How's about you post us the "growl" script?

I am using play not aplay to play .wav files.

Now using aplay I get:
 aplay growl.wav
Playing WAVE 'growl.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono

That's quite a bit shorter. Will see if it still ill send a message to a mail box.

Regards
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:50:41 am »

If I play a sound from the command line or by a cron job I get an output either on the terminal or from the cron job a message is send to a mail box.

I doubt very much play or aplay will send you a message. But a cron job will (from "man crontab": "It is also common to redirect output to a log file.  If you  do not,  and  the command generates output on stdout or stderr, the result will be mailed to the user in question".)

So the way around that is to write your cron job something like this:

0 4 1 jan * date >>/home/username/mycronlog.txt 2>&1

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:00:35 am »

I doubt very much play or aplay will send you a message. But a cron job will (from "man crontab": "It is also common to redirect output to a log file.  If you  do not,  and  the command generates output on stdout or stderr, the result will be mailed to the user in question".)
Ah, in that case you could also use "aplay -q growl.wav", which will suppress any messages. Works for play as well.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:12:15 pm »

Thanks a lot headacher & lagagnon. There is no end to learning in Linux. Newbie for ever and ever.

BTW "aplay" cannot play the au files from the program saytime since apparently it cannot read the type which is ul ?? and works fine with "play". play -t ul saytime
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:36:46 pm »

BTW "aplay" cannot play the au files from the program saytime since apparently it cannot read the type which is ul ?? and works fine with "play". play -t ul saytime

APLAY worked for me if I piped the output from SAYTIME:

saytime | aplay -f MU_LAW

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:49 pm »

APLAY worked for me if I piped the output from SAYTIME:

saytime | aplay -f MU_LAW

You are right. It needs this -f flack to MU_LAW which I did not know.
Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: