VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 08:32:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: postgresql 8.2.4 SQL help problem (solved)  (Read 1643 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:58 am »

Hi folks,

Gslapt installs PostgreSQL 8.4.2 fine and allows me to create (createdb) and access a database (psql mydb).

However when doing the tutorial from the PosgreSQL User Manual from the Vector 5.8 Development pop up (if that's the word) I can't get into the sql tutorial.  The User Manual at Chapter 2 (the SQL language), 2.1 (Introduction) says that I should either find the directory .../src/tutorial in the Postgresql source distribution and run make or if Postgresql was pre-installed, to look for a directory named tutorial within the PostgreSQL documentation.  I can't find either.  I have the adminpack for 8.2.4 and pgadmin3 1.6.1 also installed.

Any suggestions?  I am going to look on the PostgreSQL site and see if the answer is there and, if so, whether I can understand it.  If so, I will post it here.

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:20:09 am by lawquest » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:00:14 pm »

I looked at the PostgreSQL site and no answer readily appeared, so I returned to the User Manual and just skipped over the two tutorial examples in basics.sql, referenced in this afternoon's earlier post. The other examples all work fine, so perhaps I should not have bothered sending the post.  Its certainly not a big deal, though it would be nice if I could figure out all the examples in the tutorial. 

As an aside, and though I am not yet familiar with SQL queries, PostgreSQL does so far seem enough like the dBASE language that I might well soon reach my goal of converting my old Foxpro 2.6 files to a modern database. That will be nice. Very nice.

John

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:42:53 am by lawquest » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:14:40 pm »

Sorry to be so late on this. The tutorial files are indeed in that directory of the source package that you can download from www.postgresql.org. Note that this does not mean the package compiled for VL that you install from the repository. I am currently building postgresql-8.2.5 and will from now on include the tutorial files (after make-ing them) in the package. They will end up in /opt/postgresql/share/tutorial/.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: