VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: black desktop Xfce  (Read 3507 times)

vincent2

• Vectorite
black desktop Xfce
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:06:20 am »

Bon soiree!

Whenever  xine/xmms crashed/or hang   on VL5.8, I use xkill then can't  relaunch xine /xmms again, then hit " Ctrl+alt+backspace"   ,Xfce started with black desktop, no matter how I adjust the settins of xfce configure file, desktop won't come back unless I reboot the PC and start PC again...........
How could I fix up the abnormal of xfce desktop?

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: black desktop Xfce
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:59 am »

That is because you are killing the desktop with xkill. It will do so because the desktop is an X component. Only use xkill within the window of the application you want to kill. Also, xmms or xine crashing, if consistently doing so usually means you have a hardware problem - ie a faulty DVD/CDROM drive or a dirty/corrupt CD/DVD platter or a faulty media file.

Try running "xfdesktop -reload" - you can use the run command to do it, or in a terminal, that might restore the desktop.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll