VectorLinux
November 29, 2014, 01:27:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TUI: Creating new start<windowmanager> scripts?  (Read 1911 times)
newt
Vectorian

« on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:32 am »

I prefer to login to the TUI when starting VL and from there I can start X and a windowmanager/de using the provided startx(fce4) options.

The questions are: after installing a new windowmanager (for instance windowmaker [wmaker]) how does one go about starting that windowmanager/de?  Possibly more important, how does one go about creating a simple start<wm/de> script for easy starting?

This thread, along with my own experiences, are what have forced me to finally ask this question Grin.  What I've done in the past was to create an xinitrc.<wm/de> for each wm/de along with a start<wm/de> for each by simply copying the existing ones and renaming, but I've never felt that this was the proper way (not to mention that I wasn't sure what data was important/relevant to keep).  Hopefully this makes sense - I'd be happy to re-phrase if needed Grin

Locations are:
xinitrc: /etc/X11/xinit (used xinitrc.xfce as template)
startx: /usr/bin (used startxfce4 as template)

Cheers!
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55:10 pm »

There's nothing wrong with specifying your window manager in ~/.xinitrc and manually invoking 'startx', I have been doing this for years.

I would mention that if you wish to permit remote graphical logins (a la thin-client xservers) then you should use a display manager (i.e., KDM, GDM, or XDM) -- but for a standalone desktop system one can usually forgo the functionality provided by display managers.

EDIT: As far as what data is important/relevant to keep, my current .xinitrc contains only:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/uwm

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:58:38 pm by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:19:22 am »

There's nothing wrong with specifying your window manager in ~/.xinitrc and manually invoking 'startx', I have been doing this for years.

Thanks for you help.  Maybe you can answer another question.  From what you say it sounds as though it may be possible to list multiple WMs in my ~/.xinitrc file and manually invoke 'startx' for the desired WM.

Example)
~/.xinitrc could contain:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/uwm
/usr/local/bin/wmaker
/usr/local/bin/fluxbox

And I could start any by startx-ing the specific WM:
startx uwm (would start uwm)
or
startx wmaker (would start windowmaker)
or
startx fluxbox (would start fluxbox)

Could it be that simple?  Or have I oversimplified the matter? Huh

Thanks again!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:05:46 pm »

[

Thanks for you help.  Maybe you can answer another question.  From what you say it sounds as though it may be possible to list multiple WMs in my ~/.xinitrc file and manually invoke 'startx' for the desired WM.

Example)
~/.xinitrc could contain:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/uwm
/usr/local/bin/wmaker
/usr/local/bin/fluxbox

And I could start any by startx-ing the specific WM:
startx uwm (would start uwm)
or
startx wmaker (would start windowmaker)
or
startx fluxbox (would start fluxbox)

Could it be that simple?  Or have I oversimplified the matter? Huh

Thanks again!
[/quote]

Yes it is that simple at least in my VL box.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: