VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 01:41:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly is tmpfs/tempfs?  (Read 1589 times)
orasis

« on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:55 pm »

What exactly does tmpfs do? - Does it act as a RAM based version of /tmp? - If so does that also mean that if I extract big *run programs, especially games - that everytime I do I need to specify --target /tempdir ?

I suppose if I am doing nothing but office work or watching videos with already pre-compiled/Gslapt packages than tmpfs is a good idea, but if you have 256MB's of RAM (which tmpfs will only use 128mb) it's not so great of an idea seeing as these binary games and stuff use way more tmp space than 128 - and will not 'break' them up unless you want to get a 'signal caught' error Sad

orasis

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:17:16 pm »

Update --- ET, (wolfenstein) is faster in Vector GNU/Linux than any other Linux I have tried and I have tried plenty of Linux'es... and this may be due to the tmpfs which I have never enabled, or had an option to, enable in the other LInux'es...

But there is a drawback of course.. extracting large files which do not like to be spread out amongst the disk and RAM will give you a signal caught error and exit...

So I suppose using tmpfs has it's benefits and drawbacks...

Anyone else have experiences with the tmpfs, good or bad?

Vxt

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:56:17 am »

Advanced  use of File  Systems

Plse see all of series

P.S. these are all Generic Linux queries
It is highly recommended you use Google for non-VL specific questions_
&/or use VL's search utility (top of forum)

Plus ~ VL has a link to old Forum - browsing & using keywords in (all) searches -
 will provide more previously posted solutions

These will help:
Everything you want to know & More

ON-Line Linux Basics in 3 Parts

Man Pages by Category
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:59:00 am »

I had the same experience as you with these two game demos.
So far as I know, you can turn "tmpfs in RAM" off in VASM --> HARDWARE --> HWSET and then the error shouldn't happen, because /tmp in not mounted in memory (if I'm not mistaken). I didn't try that though, and only specified a different target for uncompressing, as you say.

My approach is to have it on all the time. If something needs a lot more space in /tmp then you need to turn it off or specify a different temporary target.

But I guess, I'm just repeating what you said...  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: