VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:03:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing VectorLinux...?  (Read 2142 times)
orasis

« on: September 20, 2007, 07:22:31 pm »

I wanted to burn a few copies and leave them for free at the Library and some other public places.. although I am about intermediate with Gnu/Linux - I never really took the time to read the GPL (I can hear the boos now..)

Am I allowed to do this or am I infringing on your copyrights or something by doing so?
Toe

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:13:04 pm »

You're certainly free to, and in fact, you're encouraged to! Smiley

Technically, I think you do have to make the source code available too, but if you're just burning a couple copies, you probably won't have anyone who actually requests it.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:23 pm »

Doesn't the source code come with it?  As an installable option?  I'm pretty sure it does.

The best way to get folks interested is to let them see it in action though - I use Vector on my laptop at uni, and I have folks ask me what I used to skin my XP (I laugh at this point).  These same folks are then surprised to find out, oh shit, it's Linux!  And it looks good!

Of course, it'd be better if I could use internet at uni on Vector, but that's not Vector's failing - that's due to the uni only making a Fedora version of their VPN client.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:18:43 pm »

Doesn't the source code come with it?  As an installable option?  I'm pretty sure it does.
No it doesn't.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:33:57 pm »

What's that "install ker.." ... nevermind, I just answered my own question - don't mind me, I'm a retard.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:01:39 am »

Technically, I think you do have to make the source code available too, but if you're just burning a couple copies, you probably won't have anyone who actually requests it.

Technically, if you are re-distributing an unmodified copy non-commercially, your only obligation is to pass on the information about obtaining the source code. Adding a Post-it to the CD directing the recipient to http://www.vectorlinux.com should be sufficient.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:18:05 am »

Hold on a minute... buying Linux CDs and giving them away doesn't make you a distributor, does it?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:28:52 am »

Hold on a minute... buying Linux CDs and giving them away doesn't make you a distributor, does it?

Technically speaking, it does. You are distributing copies of copyrighted material and need to be in compliance with the licensing terms and conditions set by the copyright holders. To be honest, lawyers (at least Free Software ones) are not likely to come after anyone for failing to include source-code information when they give a copy of a Linux CD to someone else, but the General Public License does require it*.

Other licenses also apply to the software in the distribution and must be honored; but to my knowledge all of the proprietary software included with Vector permits free redistribution, and the non-GPL free software licenses (BSD, MIT, MPL, etc) are less restrictive than the GPL in their distribution requirements.

* I suppose it is also necessary for GPL compliance that the distributor provide a patent grant to the recipient for usage of any patented methods owned with respect to the software being given away. Smiley

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Vxt

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:00:29 pm »

I believe - if not altering content given away - it is the originator of content
that must comply to GPL/LGPL  &  disclose source repository

An interesting discussion Re that topic on:

GPL Requirements

However, the SFLC Is not concerned with smaller issues -
even to extent AFAIK - not rigorously  checking to see how many Linux distributions do comply ?

The background of this is not known (to me) - but something must have been blatant to warrant legal action

Busybox vs Monsoon Multimedia

However, favourable rulings don't seem very effective in stopping transgressions
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »

Supposing the buyer's right to give it away doesn't apply (and it seems debatable that he automatically becomes a re-distributor), this part of the GPL 2 seems to fit (at least as long as VL itself is GPL compliant):

3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

[snip]

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: