Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: pkgtools-tukaani  (Read 1152 times)

• Vectorian
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:56:12 pm »

I needed more space for VL which I had installed in my trial partition. So I decided to move VL to the partition of slackware which is larger and at the same time I enlarged my home partition for VL. The transfer went w/o a hitch and VL runs now in its new larger partition.

I then made a new install for slackware-11 and when completed I decided to upgrade to sw-12.0 using slackpkg. That took a while and when completed the job was badly done. slackware/x was not installed and the X11/R6 directory was moved to /X11/R6.back. The only window manager I could open were blackbox and wmaker. Kde and fluxbox complained about lack of some libs and cups could not be started again no libs.

When I tried to start slackpkg again it would not open saying it could not find gawk yet it was there. I removed slackpkg and gawk and installed them again, it did not help.

Back into VL I found pkgtools-tukaani_1.2.4. I installed it in sw and was really pleased on what this program offers and can do. With it I could install/upgrade /slackware/x and ../lib after which all window managers and cups run well in slackware-12.

Now I tried pkgtools-tukaani in VL and it works just great giving it access to the VL
repositories. Gslapt is surely a nice program, however, IMO pkgtools-tukaani offers more and is so easy to use. May be it is since I am a bid GUI challenged coming from a long DOS background.

One thing strange so in slackware-12, as well as in the latest slax and absolute-linux distros when trying to logout from a window maker I get a blank screen with only the pointer arrow showing and if I do not reboot fast with ctrl-alt-del the keyboard and may be more freezes. To avoid this I have to go to ctrl-alt-F2, halt or reboot from there or kill the window maker if I want to change to another one. Ctrl-alt-backspace does the same, that is will not kill X instead leads to freezing.

I wonder if others have this problem with the latest slackware.