VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 02:54:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed SMALL LINUX...  (Read 7334 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 04:28:10 am »

I just want to add this: Standard is almost perfect, IMO. Is not about just being light for old hardware, as Granny pointed many times, is about efficiency.  Even when I have a decent machine, I dont want to run unnecessary stuff, daemons, unuseful bloated things, etc, etc. Is a waste of resources, energy and time. The system needs more attention in security, in stability. An efficient system is great in many senses. You dont need to upgrade hardware every six month. VL runs great in 1ghz cpu and 512 mb of ram. Its greener, we all know that is important now. The system is more simple, ie, more easy to maintain / configure / customize.
So, I dont see the point of change something great. Of course, always is room for improvement, and perhaps in a long future better features will be added, and others needs just to be well documented, as the install in a usb flashdrive or a very minimal base install with the chance to grow via slapt-get.
Again, if you need a very small linux for really old hardware, you can have basicLinux in a floppy, DSL / Puppy Linux, in a 50megs iso, and so on... There is a Linux distro for each person in this planet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:31:04 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:02 am »

Well like I said, once upon a time Standard WAS the trimmed-down version.  I just wanna see it get back to that!

maybe some one can volunteer to do it....... Tongue Tongue Tongue

Not me baby!  Cheesy Those nifty distro's that trim every teeny tiny little piece of fat of their packages so they can make the size quota allowed, are also trimming away things that SOMEONE will miss and raise heck about.  Packages would be built without support for other packages.  I'm not a fan of most minimalistic applications.  When I'm working on something, I want to get it done.  Not spending my time starting a project with one application, and then have to load up one or more "helper" applications to complete what I'm working on.

Giving credit where credit is due though, those "micro distro's" do a fantastic job.  But still, things are lacking.
GrannyGeek said so many things well.  This quote in particular:
The computing universe moves on. Hardware today is much more sophisticated than it was 10 years ago, or five years ago.
VL accommodates the old, and the new very, very well. To do that, and keep the majority happy, there needs to be some stuff on those CD's. Compared to other distro's, VL is a small download.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 07:57:17 am »

I agree that VL Standard approaches perfection, but would also like to see a barebones version of VL for the purpose of custom installs and experimentation.  So I favor a ~200 MB version of VL with selectable DE/WM.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:58:54 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
marcus

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 01:33:17 pm »

There is something called Damn Small Linux. I think it needs less than 100 MB.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 03:11:11 pm »

There is something called Damn Small Linux. I think it needs less than 100 MB.

Less than 50 you mean Smiley

Hmm, really should get it again.  It'll complement Puppy nicely methinks.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
alec

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:43 am »

Back on monthly quota of download. From my experience, snail mail will be faster in this case. You get someone "over here" with fast connection to burn all isos you need and send to "over there" by regular snail mail. You will get the desired result faster and the net quota is available for solving questions that may arise.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:33 am »

NimbleX sub100MB Edition claims to be the fastest booting KDE distro at ~40 seconds.
http://www.nimblex.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=55
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 05:21:09 am »

NimbleX sub100MB Edition claims to be the fastest booting KDE distro at ~40 seconds.
NimbleX is neat, especially their "roll-your-own" page, but I'm not too sure about that claim. I'm pretty sure I've seen comparable times posted here (or on IRC) for SOHO.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 04:32:46 pm »

There seems to be quite a lot of opinions about what Standard/SOHO should be about.
I actually feel like 5.8 Standard as some of you have pointed out, it's perfect as it is.
Nothing to change, works well. 5 browsers to choose from, why on earth would anyone want to cut down this possibility that VL provides???
And it's not only about the browsers. Several apps for each purpose, it's the user who decides what to use and what not.
I don't see much sense in having VL becoming one of the smallest distros with perhaps a total size of around 200-250MB without the possiblity to choose what to use.
It's so much easier in my humble opinion to have users customize a perfect VL install and make it to what they want to have.

I use Fluxbox now since I felt like a change from KDE, WindowMaker, E17, IceWM, XFCE. I've tried probably around 90% of the WM's/DE's ( I refer to the MOST USED ONES!) at least so that I get an impression about them. It's perfect that Standard is with XFCE, SOHO with KDE. Then the user can choose from the repositories what WM/DE to go with.
IMHO, it doesn't have to be so [censored] difficult. Smiley Keep VL as it is, keep up the good work! I'm at least very happy on the development.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:19:33 pm by The Headacher » Logged

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 11:13:43 am »

Good very small distros <330MB abound.  Some even have KDE Smiley  personally though about building a mini Vector but I've pretty much decided I don't need to reinvent the wheel.  As much as I like VL I don't have to use it exclusively, do I?

A great choice for you would be Slax 6 RC6.  It's just under 200MB and has KDE but no OpenOffice.  OOO could be added and you'd still be around 300MB.  Slax is a live CD based on Slackware 12 but can be installed to a hard drive in frugal mode (think Knoppix Poorman's install) much like Damn Small Linux.  See http://www.slax.org  (NOTE:  I have a HD install script for Slax and AliXe I'm testing but I probably won't have time to finish it until after I move.)

Other good choices for those who like Xfce and don't demand KDE are:

I hope this helps or at least gives some people new toys to try Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 03:51:24 pm »

I like GoblinX veru much, and it has the best artwork. My friends from the next door, Brazil, are giving very good projects lastly.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 10:27:25 am »

Good very small distros <330MB abound.  Some even have KDE Smiley  personally though about building a mini Vector but I've pretty much decided I don't need to reinvent the wheel.  As much as I like VL I don't have to use it exclusively, do I?

A great choice for you would be Slax 6 RC6.  It's just under 200MB and has KDE but no OpenOffice.  OOO could be added and you'd still be around 300MB.  Slax is a live CD based on Slackware 12 but can be installed to a hard drive in frugal mode (think Knoppix Poorman's install) much like Damn Small Linux.  See http://www.slax.org  (NOTE:  I have a HD install script for Slax and AliXe I'm testing but I probably won't have time to finish it until after I move.)

Other good choices for those who like Xfce and don't demand KDE are:

I hope this helps or at least gives some people new toys to try Smiley

Yeah, Wolvix have joined forces with Martin Ultima who's in charge of Ultima Linux (but doesn't have a download link for it at the moment). That collaboration could be fruitful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: