VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 04:39:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating wants to install packages!  (Read 3831 times)
silver007

« on: September 24, 2007, 05:16:01 pm »

Ok I've Marked All Possible Upgrades and went to apply then noticed Gslapt was wanting to install stuff - stuff like gcc, openldap, SAMBA!!!, etc... what the heck? I don't need this stuff and to think an update makes me need it sounds strange - anybody know what's going on?

Thanks

Also, can anyone suggest how to install SwiftWeasel? It's not listed in Gslapt. Should I add a repository? I don't want to have to worry about dependencies, but am up to some tarballs!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:46 pm »

Ok I've Marked All Possible Upgrades and went to apply then noticed Gslapt was wanting to install stuff - stuff like gcc, openldap, SAMBA!!!, etc... what the heck? I don't need this stuff and to think an update makes me need it sounds strange - anybody know what's going on?

Is because of dependency. Some application/package need other packages to function.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:42:22 pm »

But it's very strange to have a gcc update, I think. If you are going to mark all upgrades, be sure to only have the patches and extra repos enabled.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:44:32 pm »

what VL version are you running? and does it match what is in your repo list?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:22:13 pm »

"upgrade" all packages is still a bad idea in my opinion. Auto upgrades have more than once proven to be one of the best ways to break a perfectly working system.

stuff like gcc, openldap, SAMBA!!!, etc... what the heck? I don't need this stuff and to think an update makes me need it sounds strange - anybody know what's going on?
Those are probably dependencies for other programs. If something is a dependency for a package, the package might not work properly without it (or just not load at all). Just because YOU don't think you need it doesn't mean the package you want to install doesn't need it. Then again sometimes you can skip a dependency unpunished or with some loss of functionality.

If you decide to not follow dependency rules that's ok, just don't be surprised if programs don't work correctly (or at all). Also, managing your packages is probably going to be harder.

I'm not sure why you think you don't need gcc. it's not just a compiler, it's one of the backbones of modern linux systems. It also comes with a couple of libraries. If one of those is linked against by a package, it'll probably need gcc. Unless you're reaaaaally short on space I would not make too much trouble about the 9170Kb the gcc package takes and just install it. After that, you can build the packages you want without openldap and samba support yourself Grin.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:35:19 am »

"upgrade" all packages is still a bad idea in my opinion. Auto upgrades have more than once proven to be one of the best ways to break a perfectly working system.
I wholeheartedly agree, and it is not a problem with just VL. Many other users experience such problems with other distros attempting to do auto upgrades - read "The Danger of Automatic Updates": http://www.linux.com/feature/119162

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
silver007

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:14:41 pm »

Some people have brought up dependencies and that's what I thought of, but this is a fresh install. Would all these dependencies be missing from the install? To me, this would mean the authors of all these "upgrades" saw fit to add all these dependencies to their apps. Something doesn't seem right.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 04:32:48 pm »

Sounds like there is two possibilities: a) Something went wrong during the install, specially in the install packages stage. b)You did not choose to install those packages when the installer asked for it.
A third option already mentioned by the headeacher is you have a non-vl repo enabled in slapt-getrc.
Some tests you can do: check /var/packages to see if some of those deps are already there, stuff like gcc or samba are always there after a fresh install for me. Install some apps instead a full upgrade and see how the deps are working. Check your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file.
Which version of vl are you using? May be you installed a live cd. The live cd version ships less software because there is less room in the iso.
cat /etc/vector-version will tell you the exact version of vl.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:09 pm »

Would all these dependencies be missing from the install?
Depends on what (bulk) packages you selected during install. Looks to me like you skipped Samba and the entire dev tools thingy (not sure what it's called in the installer).

To me, this would mean the authors of all these "upgrades" saw fit to add all these dependencies to their apps.
You can't build a package that satisfies everybody. Usually, packages are built so they can be installed on a VL standard install with the default package selection. Then again, a lot of programs need extra libraries to work

Most programs also have optional dependencies during build time. You'll get more functionality if you build it with those optional dependencies (or, if you look at it the other way, you cripple the program if you don't build it against those optional dependencies).

Ultimately, it is up to the packagers to decide what dependency is to be included and which isn't. As long as you use a packages based distribution you will occasionally get packages you don't really want. But this is only a small trade off if you look at the time it would take to package something yourself without a particular dependency.

A third option already mentioned by the headeacher is you have a non-vl repo enabled in slapt-getrc.
I didn't say such a thing Wink.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 04:22:58 am »

I didn't say such a thing Wink.

Cheesy Oops, I was quoting from my memory, may be in another thread? I should sleep more, and do one thing at a time.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 03:02:39 am »

stuff like gcc, openldap, SAMBA!!

I guess samba is showing up as a dependency of mplayer...
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:56 am »

This bothers me  Undecided  I use mplayer, but have no use for Samba.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:24 am »

This bothers me Undecided I use mplayer, but have no use for Samba.
Me neither, but you can't build packages that satisfy everybody's wishes. If you use Samba it would be nice if you could play media files on Samba mounts like they were on your own computer, wouldn't it?

Every "binary" distro will get you some packages you'd rather not have, unless you build your own. I tried using Gentoo to get around this problem for a while, but ended up spending way too much time and effort to justify the resulting optimizations.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

This bothers me Undecided I use mplayer, but have no use for Samba.
Me neither, but you can't build packages that satisfy everybody's wishes. If you use Samba it would be nice if you could play media files on Samba mounts like they were on your own computer, wouldn't it?

Every "binary" distro will get you some packages you'd rather not have, unless you build your own. I tried using Gentoo to get around this problem for a while, but ended up spending way too much time and effort to justify the resulting optimizations.
Well said.  Mplayer should be built with Samba.  I can live with it  Smiley
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:19 am »

stuff like gcc, openldap, SAMBA!!

IIRC, you can install mplayer without samba and it works just fine... something along the lines of 'slapt-get --nodeps --install <name_of_package>.tlz'
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: