VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 07:36:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a program to the menu  (Read 1247 times)
marcus

« on: September 25, 2007, 11:52:14 am »

How can I add the icon & link to a program in the xfce menu? And how can I add it on the desktop? With KDE, I could right-click and follow the menus, but that doesn't work here. I have a "menu editor" in "settings", but it won't show all the stuff from the menu. The programs oredred by categories (accessories, games, etc.) are hidden from the editor and replaced by a green string that reads:
Code:
--include--                        system
There must be a config file that I can edit, but where is it?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:11:55 pm »

Desktop shortcut: Right-click on an existing shortcut and you should see an option to create a new launcher.  From that point it's similar to the KDE method.

XFCE Menu shortcut: these are created by .desktop files that are stored in /usr/share/applications/.  If you place a correctly formatted .desktop file there it will show up in the XFCE menu (sometimes it requires restarting X).  A simple way of creating a new menu option is to simply copy one of the .desktop files that exists in the sublocation where you want to create one, and then modify the contents to reflect the correct application.

HTH!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: