VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Adding a program to the menu  (Read 1357 times)

marcus

Adding a program to the menu
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:52:14 pm »

How can I add the icon & link to a program in the xfce menu? And how can I add it on the desktop? With KDE, I could right-click and follow the menus, but that doesn't work here. I have a "menu editor" in "settings", but it won't show all the stuff from the menu. The programs oredred by categories (accessories, games, etc.) are hidden from the editor and replaced by a green string that reads:
Code: [Select]
--include--                        systemThere must be a config file that I can edit, but where is it?

newt

• Vectorian
Re: Adding a program to the menu
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:55 pm »

Desktop shortcut: Right-click on an existing shortcut and you should see an option to create a new launcher.  From that point it's similar to the KDE method.

XFCE Menu shortcut: these are created by .desktop files that are stored in /usr/share/applications/.  If you place a correctly formatted .desktop file there it will show up in the XFCE menu (sometimes it requires restarting X).  A simple way of creating a new menu option is to simply copy one of the .desktop files that exists in the sublocation where you want to create one, and then modify the contents to reflect the correct application.

HTH!