VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: HOWTO Use Multimedia Keyboards with VectorLinux  (Read 5210 times)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
HOWTO Use Multimedia Keyboards with VectorLinux
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:33:07 am »

The buttons at the top of multimedia keyboads can be useful to save you time and keep your hands on the keyboard rather than on the much slower mouse. These special keys are not normally useable after a VL install. You need to:

1) If you use KDE as your desktop environment:

KDE Control Center, Regional and Accessibility, Keyboard Model, choose the appropriate keyboard, restart KDE by logging out.

2) If you use Gnome:

System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, Keyboard Model, choose the appropriate keyboard, restart Gnome by logging out.

3) For almost any other window manager:

Download, install and configure a keyboard capture program such as xbindkeys ( http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html ) or lineak ( http://lineak.sourceforge.net/index.php?nav=keyboards ). The install and configuring of such software is quite straightforward and the website documentation is good so I will not repeat it here. You must ensure that your startup file for your window manager launches these programs during window manager boot-up.

I recommend lineakd over xbindkeys for the newbie. Geeks might prefer the latter.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:08:00 pm by lagagnon »
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
Re: HOWTO Use Multimedia Keyboards with VectorLinux
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:28:37 pm »

Very good. Now I have to see about getting that lxdoom tutorial up. :)
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months