VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 12:34:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Machines on SOHO  (Read 3616 times)
JJSH

« on: September 26, 2007, 06:30:32 am »

I'm after a bit of advice regarding virtual machines. I have one laptop left to move over from M$, and the main thing preventing me is that I need to be able to create and run virtual machines on it, which is presently handled by VMWare Workstation.

I can't get virtualbox to work on 5.8 SOHO ~ are there any other options?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 08:19:42 am »

A couple come to mind: qemu and VMWare Workstation

But I'm certain that several people here have virtualbox running on 5.8 SOHO.  Did you install from the repo?  What kind of problems/errors do you encounter when trying to run vbox?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:22:16 am »

I can't get virtualbox to work on 5.8 SOHO ~ are there any other options?

You could try QEMU. It's slightly nasty to set up (all command line, rather obscure commands and options) but with the kqemu kernel accelerator it does a good job. I have Win 98SE set up in a QEMU virtual machine under VL 5.8 Standard and it's very nice. I haven't tried any later Windows, such as W2K or XP. QEMU doesn't have as many options as VMware Workstation, so it depends on what you need. I'm not a gamer and have never tried running a game in a virtual machine.

VMware Player has a Linux version that's free to download. It lacks some of the important features of the full VMware, such as the tools. I don't know if you could use the tools you have from VMware Workstation.

I think Parallels (commercial, you have to buy it) has a Linux version. I know very little about it.

I'm writing this in a VirtualBox VL 5.8 Standard virtual machine under Windows XP. It runs very well, but it sure does suck up the computer power. I also have a VirtualBox vm with 5.8 Standard under Vista on my laptop. In both XP and Vista, when I run VirtualBox the computer is using a bit over 1 gig of physical RAM (I have 3 gigs on the desktop and 2 gigs on the laptop). Both of these computers have dual-core processors. On the laptop CPU usage is about 50% when the virtual machine is running. One of the cores is at about 20% and the other is at about 80%. On the desktop total CPU usage is about 25-30% with one core at about 50% and the other much lower. I have enough power to spare that I don't notice any "hit" on the rest of the system. I've assigned 512 megs of RAM to the virtual machine, which is okay for Standard. For Windows 9x 256 to 384 megs assigned to the vm would be enough, 512 megs would be okay for XP, for Vista--forget about it!

Describe your problems with VirtualBox. Maybe someone can help with that.

One thing I discovered was that VirtualBox does very poorly with Windows 9x. In fact, only the NT series (W2K, XP, maybe NT4) is supported on VirtualBox. I did get 98SE installed, but it ran so slowly that it was unusable and there were no Guest Additions for it, so I was stuck at 640x480 and 16 colors and couldn't set up Shared Folders. I wanted a 98SE virtual machine on my Vista and XP computers because I have a couple of important programs that lose some functionality under XP but work fine under 98SE. I wound up installing Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free download) and installed 98SE under that, where it works quite well. There is no Linux version of Virtual PC (surprise, surprise! Angry).
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:26:47 am by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27:18 am »

you can get Vmware-server and Vmware-workstation as free downloads.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 09:33:21 am »

VMware Workstation's free download is a 30-day trial version. After that, you have to buy the product starting at $189 US. That's according to their Web site.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:40:34 am »

VMware Workstation's free download is a 30-day trial version. After that, you have to buy the product starting at $189 US. That's according to their Web site.
--GrannyGeek
I didnt know that. thats good info. I just use vmware-server it seems to have more optiona anyway

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:39:59 am »

You could try QEMU. It's slightly nasty to set up (all command line, rather obscure commands and options) ...,
Speaking of which, there is a very good new intro to QEMU at IBM DeveloperWorks here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-qemu/?ca=dgr-lnxw03QEMULinux&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 10:15:55 pm »

dont forget the VL gui front end to qemu
http://code.google.com/p/vemul/
JJSH

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:33:26 am »

Thanks for the info folks, sorry for the delay in replying, been busy, busy, busy!

QEMU and VEMUL look very promising, so I'll give them a try.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: