VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 01:33:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting court case in France  (Read 3224 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 10:45:56 am »

HA HA! Wonderful creativity!   Grin

@rbistolfi: I don't know much about the new default msoffice format. I don't think that interoperability is the reason for it. I found one site that will convert a file for $5, and a shareware converter for $30. Fortunaltely, in our case there were few documents involved and none essential. She just re-typed what she needed to keep. Still, a valuable lesson.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:33 pm »

If the bundled software were freeware; required no fee subscriptions; had relatively small footprints; had an uninstallation routine that cleaned not only it's program and system files but all of it's registry entries; and was of satisfactory quality then I would not be opposed to the bundling.

If the bundled software was provided in an uninstalled manor then i would not be opposed to the bundling.  By "uninstalled manor" I mean: on a cd/dvd; provided as an installable package (exe); better yet, provided as an installable package with user options on which applications to install.

You're not facing the reality of why bundled software exists. It's not because the computer manufacturer wants to do you a favor. It's because the *software manufacturer* wants "product placement" and a way to promote their software. They PAY computer manufacturers to include the software. That's why it comes installed and not on a CD. It can't be up to the buyer to install it because a lot of people wouldn't bother. Hence, the software maker wouldn't get what it's paying for: product placement and the strong possibility that the buyer will pay for the full version after the trial expires.

It's clear when you buy a computer what is and is not trial software. Look at the specs for a computer and it'll say "trial" or something similar by MS Office, Norton, etc. And if users would simply bother to read the About listing in the Help menu, they'd see that they were using a trial version.

I'm painfully aware of the cluelessness of most users, but still, I do think people have to develop some curiosity--whether in computers or any other area that requires a bit of thought. If you refuse to exercise some curiosity, you will face consequences.

Removing the stuff is annoying, I agree. It shouldn't take hours. I doubt I've spent more than an hour on my two latest computers, both of which came with the usual crapware, including the dreaded Wild Tangent games. However, I'm good at it. I'm sure an average user would probably be unable to get rid of the junk and wouldn't know to disable all the useless stuff loading in the background through MSCONFIG. But...that's what friends are for, right? I'm perfectly happy to help a friend get a computer in shape. If they're willing to learn something in the process, that's even better.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: