VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 10:19:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7Linux, "The choice is yours..." / VL Security Approach  (Read 2227 times)
DrCR
Vectorite

« on: September 26, 2007, 10:45:46 pm »

www.7linux.com
"The choice is yours..."

Isn't that straight out of VL? Just found out about it at distrowatch, and couldn't help by feel like I've seen that logo before. Could be an interesting little distro though.

7linux is small, fast distribution built from scratch. Its main characteristic are: use of 7z compression, pkgtools from Slackware, Enlightenment and KDE desktops.

On another note, the same DW Weekly also frowns on VL's security approach.

DrCR

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:47:35 pm by DrCR » Logged
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:45:31 am »

www.7linux.com
"The choice is yours..."

Isn't that straight out of VL? Just found out about it at distrowatch, and couldn't help by feel like I've seen that logo before. Could be an interesting little distro though.

7linux is small, fast distribution built from scratch. Its main characteristic are: use of 7z compression, pkgtools from Slackware, Enlightenment and KDE desktops.
Its main charecteristics seem to echo that of Tukaani linux, they did consider using 7zip, but ended up choosing lzma because it was more stable I think.

On another note, the same DW Weekly also frowns on VL's security approach.
Frankly, I don't really care about security issues at all, because most of the time it's something that would happen only during the perfect circumstances to a really unused feature of a program.

A bug tracker on the other hand, may or may not be helpful. Yes, we do have the forum but a bug tracker could make assigning/organizing tasks easier. Just my opinion.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
Toe

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:51:36 am »

they did consider using 7zip, but ended up choosing lzma

Erm, LZMA is the compression algorithm used in the 7z file format.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:19:25 pm »

A bug tracker on the other hand, may or may not be helpful. Yes, we do have the forum but a bug tracker could make assigning/organizing tasks easier. Just my opinion.
We had one, but nobody ever used it... Roll Eyes

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
cintyram
Packager

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »

I just browsed though their forum at http://www.7linux.com/smf

Most of the user names are the same as in VL Smiley
looks like some of the VL community members decided to do things a little different:)
This will be an interesting project.
-Ram
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: