VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 06:16:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no wpa_suppplicant.conf file  (Read 2193 times)
ds1

« on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:57 pm »

Hello

I am currently trying to follow the wireless how-to (very clearly written, thank you). Successfully completed up to and including step 3 but I'm stuck on the 'getting connected' bit. I'm trying to use wpa but I can't find wpa_supplicant.conf where it should be, or anywhere else for that matter.

I've tried creating wpa_supplicant.conf  myself as it's listed in the how-to but without $pairwise and $group as they gave me an 'unknown network' error message, but now when I type

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I get no output and still no connection. Could somebody advise me. please? Many thanks

Dave
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:44:19 pm »

What kind of WPA connection are you trying to establish (whats the encryption type)?

ds1

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:10:07 pm »

My router is set to WPA-PSK TKIP, with WPA-802.1x as the other option.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19:01 pm »

Could you try commenting out the first line of wpa_supplicant.conf, so it looks like this:

Code:
#ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="xxxxx"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA
#pairwise=TKIP CCMP
#group=TKIP
psk="xxxxxxx"
}

That line seems to cause problems for some people.

dh2k

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36:11 am »

For my PCMCIA wifi card I am using the serialmonkey driver for RT61 chipset
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rt2400/rt61-1.1.0-b2.tar.gz?download

After adding the module [rt61.ko] I can connect to an open network fine.

I have then created [/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf] as described in the readme files of the RT61 modules directory personalising the file with my wifi-network details and WPA details.

Then use:
Code:
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -ira0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
(ra0 is confirmed as my wireless interface via iwconfig)
But nothing, no connection.

How do I know what driver to use with wpa_supplicant as the [wpa_supplicant --help] help-files advise the wext is a generic driver?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:53:05 am »

For both my ndiswrapped acx111-chipset pci card and my native bcm43xx-chipset pcmcia card I use -Dwext and it works fine.  I also use wifi-rader to actually establish the connection.  My network is not broadcast, does not use dhcp, and uses WPA.  I create a wifi-rader profile with the ssid name, managed, auto channel, key left blank, wpa option left off [I DO use WPA], specify local ip, netmask, domain, dns1.

The way I typically start my wireless network is like this (from boot):
ifconfig wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then I run wifi-radar and select my preconfigured profile and connect to it (of course adjust the interface name to match yours).
That's it.

HTH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: