VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 11:32:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.8 abiword fonts  (Read 3839 times)
Trio3b

« on: September 29, 2007, 07:00:27 pm »

Trying to setup  abiword in VL5.8 for parents. Sorry about the crosspost but as I've researched this more apparently there is an issue with Abiword and fonts (specifically Times new roman) so I guess this is the forum. Am unable to connect w abiforums...maybe they're down?

Tried to open a MS Word 97 .doc with abi and blank page is displayed. I am not familiar with abi so I don't know which default font it uses, but now upon opening new abi document, there is a blinking dot for a cursor but no characters appear. If I use a different font then all is well EXCEPT that font size is all wrong....i.e in order to be visible we must select 20 or 24 size fonts. I realize that some font default sizes are different but almost all fonts need to be huge to be visible.

Research shows a problem w/ abi and OTF fonts but ...there is a  workaround of issuing the command as root:
# /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -a /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts

but Abi version 2.0 is unable to use this command

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Is there some preference setting I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:04:27 pm »

AbiWord works fine with Times New Roman on my system. Do you have Times New Roman TrueType on your system? It's part of the Microsoft Core Fonts and I don't think it comes with Vector now by default. It can be downloaded and installed from someplace on the Web if you don't have it on a Windows system. If you do, just copy it to /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/TTF and run fc-cache. You have to do both of those things as root. I think you'll have to restart X before the fonts will show up, but I'm not sure about that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Trio3b

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:14 pm »

Actually, I just did a fresh install of VL 5.8 Gold on another PC and before I did any configuration I went over to Abi, opened it up and lo....Times New Roman is the default font.

I think this all started either when I tried to open a MS .doc that was using Times new roman OR... when I tried to change the XFce user interface settings to a different and/or larger font for visibility. Maybe this did a global change, but I wouldn't think it would affect apps.

Maybe  I hosed the fonts. Where are they kept?

Thanks
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:22:55 pm »

Fonts are in a number of directories in /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts. Some may also be in a /.fonts directory in your home directory. The ones in /usr/x11R6/lib/fonts are available to the entire system and have to be installed by root. The ones in ~/.fonts are available only to that user and can be installed by that user.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Trio3b

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:02:02 pm »

Thanks - will give that a shot.

Also, is it just me or is printer install easier in KDE  than CUPS browser interface? (or does KDE use CUPS behind the scenes?)
I am having a bad time. I have installed three or four printers using CUPS browser interface and the installs are inconsistent or flaky or both.
example -> Canon bj100

installed once on VL5.8 on this same PC but deleted it. Now  can't get it reinstalled.
 problems:

CUPS should notify that parallel printer port needs to be enabled (finally figured out VASM >hdw set)
CUPS detects canonbj100 and lists the port  but then presents about 8-10 different drivers, none which reference the Canon
or it asks for ppd file ( got from linuxprinting ) which I install (and I know it works bc I did it before
) then I start printer , print test and receive error about /usr/lib/filter/foomatic not being there.

I deleted the printer a while back but this shouldn't delete any drivers.

KDE printer installs this printer fine in MDV, PCLOS

Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: