VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 07:43:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: search tool for next vl (beagle alternative)  (Read 16762 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 06:25:02 am »

you can get catfish here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/packages/x-apps/catfish-0.2.5-i586-1vl59.tlz
it should work on 5.8 let us know if it doesnt.
gtkfind is another good one and it may teach some of the options of the find command.
it is here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/packages/x-apps/gtkfind-1.1-i586-1vl59.tlz
and here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/packages/x-apps/gtkfind-1.0.1-i586-4vl58.tlz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 06:47:13 am »

I use the command line tools. I think they are extremely good. As larry pointed, locate is great, and whereis, which, and the others too. All of them working together makes the perfect tool. Find is the most powerful but slow, locate is less powerful but fast, and so on...
My filesystem is pretty organized though, and I use the cli search tools almost just for config files, find the path for new files installed by a package and things like that. But I think we need to meet all the needs around, and a lot of people thinks they need a search tool for their files. Of course, the tool must meet vl standards, i.e., fast, light, etc. The tools proposed by Uel seems to be the right ones, and meets everybody wishes and needs.
Of course, just my two cents.

PS: @kidd: that looks amazing.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08:49 am »

you can get catfish here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/packages/x-apps/catfish-0.2.5-i586-1vl59.tlz
it should work on 5.8 let us know if it doesnt.

Under VL SOHO 5.8 catfish throws an error:

RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 08:32:08 am »

darn it 
I will get a 58 version built in next couple of days.
Thanks for the test Lagagnon,
Uelsk8s
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 11:16:49 am »

For me it is the smarter approach to have a search engine instead of building up a file structure. When it comes to the point that I have to search for content it does not help very much if I have filed everthing in a structure 6 directories deep.
So it actually makes sense to make a mess out of your files / directories Huh?

When you build a proper directory structure you hardly ever have to search because it's all where it's supposed to be. For me, keeping my files organized is important to do whatever I want effectively.

Objection, your honor!
I agree, having your file structure organized, is helpful.
But in the moment when you accumulate over years hundreds of files with very much different topics you have a problem. If you do not remember which date the document origins and the filename is referring exactly to the topic, you are lost.
That is exactly why the Single-line search engines are such a boom. You are looking for content and forget about the structure. At the office I have mails, correspondence and phone notices worth 5-6 GB, going back for several years! With my desktop search engine I insert a searchword (i.e. Name of company and/or ship and/or topic) and I have in a millisecond the results.
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 09:11:40 am »

awww, come on guys. Tracker daemon doesnt have to start at boot and can be disabled/stopped.

I dont want these features to be running as defauult.
I am just saying that they are very very nice and it would be sweet if vec has  at least one tool that does that in the menu.

I am not saying google-desktop is the best.I find it rather slow.

I vote for tracker as being the lightest/fastest. It has a build-in gui frontend,which is way better than catfish.

There are many sweet things to take from the open source world.Putting too much sugar in a distro is not always the best thing to do...but innovation on the desktop scene is something that the common user seeks and is interested in.
Just look at the top distros.They are fighting over the user interest.

Ubuntu with its tracker tool,suse with beagle,fedora with its online desktop/bigboard feature... they are all including whats most interesting/new. I agree that those distros are bloated and heavy, yes.

alright, as i think of it, dont include a indexing/search tool. I think vec should leave the choice to the user,while staying light as a feather. Thats why many users pick it anyways... at least upgrade gimp to 2.4. It may be a RC,but the new features make it about 30% more useable than its predecesor.

I myself use this type of tool to save time ,spent of dull repetative navigations to the same files over and over again.Its exactly their organisation to different folders that makes me navigate through number of directories to get to them.
I mean mp3s,docs,html,php,folders...  and i have bookmarked too many locations... such a tool trully saves me hours,if i put together all the time it saved.
It is not forgetting where the files were put, but the navigation to them...believe me,its a luxury to have.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:18:41 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 10:47:23 am »

Ubuntu with its tracker tool,suse with beagle,fedora with its online desktop/bigboard feature... they are all including whats most interesting/new. I agree that those distros are bloated and heavy, yes.

alright, as i think of it, dont include a indexing/search tool. I think vec should leave the choice to the user,while staying light as a feather. Thats why many users pick it anyways... at least upgrade gimp to 2.4. It may be a RC,but the new features make it about 30% more useable than its predecesor.

I myself use this type of tool to save time ,spent of dull repetative navigations to the same files over and over again.Its exactly their organisation to different folders that makes me navigate through number of directories to get to them.
I mean mp3s,docs,html,php,folders...  and i have bookmarked too many locations... such a tool trully saves me hours,if i put together all the time it saved.
It is not forgetting where the files were put, but the navigation to them...believe me,its a luxury to have.

Well, nothing is stopping anyone from packaging these tools for the repo.

I guess we should also make the distinction between "choice" and "bloat". catfish looks like it fits VL's philosophy, even though it may not be as advanced as beagle.
I guess thats why we also aren't using YAST for managing system configurations. Its all about compromise.
Thats why we have Wifi-Radar instead of NetworkManager.
It boils down to this: Are you willing to let go of a few perks for the extra performance on your older box?

VL has lots of apps in its default installation (a very complete set of apps for the ISO size), but their mere presence doesn't slow down the system because they don't all have daemons/backends running all the time. And thats what an indexer does: it must have a daemon running to continually create an up-to-date list of files.
If you don't run the indexer daemon at boot-up, then it will have to be run later on (and will still have to spend time updating the file index).

But once again, adding a search tool would be trivial with slapt-get...

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:40 am »

but innovation on the desktop scene is something that the common user seeks and is interested in.
Not here. I came here for the speed, and stayed because of the stability. Not because of all the latest and "greatest" stuff.

they are all including whats most interesting/new.
I am still not in the least bit interested. new != interesting.

I don't understand why you keep trying to change VL with topics like this. You could've just packaged one or two of these search tools if you believe they'd be such a great addition.

[edit]
I see easuter made a similar point already
[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:10:09 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 11:42:50 am »

I don't understand why you keep trying to change VL with topics like this. You could've just packaged one or two of these search tools if you believe they'd be such a great addition.

I believe that blurymind's intentions are all good.  It seems that his ideas are well thought-out and he even provides solutions that are on the "light" side to keep in line with VL "light" reputation.  Change can be either good or bad, and blury's suggestions always aim to make VL a more well-rounded distro; thus his intentions are good.  Having a search tool likes he's mentioned is a MUST for purely desktop users, as well as for those folks who are timid of the shell.  I think that in regards to VL packaging some gui desktop search applications, we should _already_ be doing that, but, as I've already said, just provide them in the repo rather than in the ISO.  A small package of 24kb is easy for everyone to download after installing VL, even dial-up users.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 11:53:44 am »

Well said newtor  Smiley
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 11:56:02 am »

but innovation on the desktop scene is something that the common user seeks and is interested in.Not here. I came here for the speed, and stayed because of the stability. Not because of all the latest and "greatest" stuff.

This what The Headacher is saying about coming for speed and staying for stability I relate very much to. I use old hardware and don't plan on upgrading in the near future so VL is going to be my choice of distro forever. That is a fact that I can bet on, most users probably feel similar to me on the choice of VL and why VL became their default distro.

I admit, I have tried several other ones as well but not a single one is as good as VL when it comes to speed, stability and also a friendly community.
Why change the philosophy of VL because it is working perfectly well today as it is?
But I do feel that if there is a real need for these search tool programs they should go in the repos and not on the ISO.

Regards,
DrGrov

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:17:29 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »

Dr. Grov: fixed the quoting for you, it wasn't closing right... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 11:10:14 pm »

I believe that blurymind's intentions are all good.  It seems that his ideas are well thought-out and he even provides solutions that are on the "light" side to keep in line with VL "light" reputation. 
Change can be either good or bad, and blury's suggestions always aim to make VL a more well-rounded distro; thus his intentions are good.
I don't doubt he means well, I just think other actions would've been a lot better. If you package something everybody can just use it if he or she feels like it, rather than trying to force your personal preference onto every VL user. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to see included too. You won't hear me about it though. I'll build a package and upload it to the repo. If anybody wants to use it it's there, if nobody wants it it's a good thing it's there and not on the install disc.

By the way, change is never good or bad. It all depends on your point of view. For me, this change is not necessarily good or bad, just useless. I would consider it bad if the indexing deamon were to be enabled by default, that's for sure.

Having a search tool likes he's mentioned is a MUST for purely desktop users, as well as for those folks who are timid of the shell.
I still think every Linux user should at least try to understand the basics of the shell, it's one of the most powerful tools included on every distribution. If you don't learn how to use it you miss out on great power and you will never be able to fix problems on your install yourself, or install software that isn't in the repository. If you decide to limit yourself like that you should accept the consequences rather than complain that there is no GUI tool for that job.
I think that in regards to VL packaging some gui desktop search applications, we should _already_ be doing that, but, as I've already said, just provide them in the repo rather than in the ISO.  A small package of 24kb is easy for everyone to download after installing VL, even dial-up users.
of course, search tool fans, what are you waiting for? Package!

I realize I'm sort of sounding like an 45$h013 in this thread, so I'll stop posting in it now... That doesn't change my opinions though.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 03:28:38 pm »

Dr. Grov: fixed the quoting for you, it wasn't closing right... Wink

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. It's kind of messy for me now with quoting since I haven't used it before now.  Roll Eyes

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 02:38:46 am »

i'm sorry guys, my system is not clean for packaging, not to mention its the pseudo 59 and not the stable 58, which everybody is currently using.

With this post i wanted only to state a proposal, and not to force my personal tastes on anyone. I think that i should have posted it at the lounge.
I wont do it again,sorry. I feel myself being pestering again.

using the shell means that the user should learn the command line of the search tool and type everything,which slows down the process of accessing files.
I dont complain there isn't. I am just trying to explain why its so useful to have around. Clearly,i am not the one who makes decisions around here,nor am i forcing you my ideas or contributing lately. You could complain about that if you will.

Tracker wasnt hard to package on my system, but i dont believe the package i curently have deserves to be at the repo. It was built with the help of a bunch of sw12 packages, it doesnt have the gui frontend (i think that one needs some gnome-related deps)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 02:40:36 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: