VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 09:18:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] VL in a windows domain enviroment - cannot resolve name  (Read 2285 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« on: January 14, 2008, 11:18:13 pm »

I am running VL in my company which all join to a windows domain. Some time I use VNC and rdesktop to remote to my PC. But then I cannot VNC/rdesktop based on the PC name, can only use the IP. I know I can add the IP and the PC name in the resolv.conf to resolve it. But I got a lot of PC in my company, I cannot add in all the name in the resolv.conf. In windows I no need to worry to resolve the PC name, is there away to do that same in VL?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:03:02 am by hata_ph » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:26:08 pm »

I had something similar when I used Vector at BioAust.  I had the benefit of a small number of machines and being the site IT expert, so I was able to set my machine as the master resolution device.  There should be something in the various SMB documentations that'll show you how to set that, and after I changed that, I was generally able to VNC by hostname.

Good luck - not being able to do this sort of thing generally erodes a company's confidence in linux-based solutions.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:51 am »

I had something similar when I used Vector at BioAust.  I had the benefit of a small number of machines and being the site IT expert, so I was able to set my machine as the master resolution device.  There should be something in the various SMB documentations that'll show you how to set that, and after I changed that, I was generally able to VNC by hostname.

Good luck - not being able to do this sort of thing generally erodes a company's confidence in linux-based solutions.

do you have any guide for that?

EDIT:

I found this in the internet.......will it work for VL?

http://www.poromenos.org/node/53

(this is not a question as i already have the solution)
i wanted to post this because i have been searching the last three days for this problem in many forums and found many people having similar problems but never got the right answer.

the situation in short
- i have set up samba correctly and my windows pcs and linux pcs can see each other in the windows (netbios) network
- shared files are reachable and readable from every pc
- every pc can ping each other using the ip address (ping 192.168.0.100)
- from windows pcs: ping netbios names is working (ping lepton2 will ping the ip behind the name lepton2)
- PROBLEM! from linux pcs: ping netbios names will result in "unknown host lepton2"

the most common answer to this problem is: hardcode the host names in the hosts file. sure, this will work, but not if the network is using dhcp.

after three days of searching and trying i have finally found this
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...html#id2586120
(well okay finding the link is not so hard, but finding the right information there...)

the part of interest would be
"...and the "wins" parameter needs to be added to the "hosts:" line in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file"

so then...
grab you favorite editor
edit your /etc/nsswitch.conf file
search for the line starting with hosts (my line was like this "hosts: files dns")
add "wins" to the line ("hosts: files dns wins")

now ping netbios name should also work from the linux pcs

well i hope this post will help others searching for the same problem

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/ping-netbios-names-from-linux-samba-271336/

some useful info http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/integrate-ms-networks.html#id2586120
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:01:05 am by hata_ph » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »

Actually, it was one of the links in the Documentation tab at the Vector Start page.  Gimme a sec, I'll see if I can find it again.

Sad  I can't find it.  Sorry.  It was quite useful for me, ran me through editing every part of smb.conf.  Might have a link to it on my vector box at home - I should be able to check in a few days.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:26:14 am »

grab you favorite editor
search for the line starting with hosts (my line was like this "hosts: files dns")

I try this in my home and I can ping through hostname....I need to test it in my office.....
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:33 am »

I'd sure like to know if that change fixes the situation in your office.  Seems like an easy fix with a nice "payoff" - for any network.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 06:02:44 am »

grab you favorite editor

I try this in my home and I can ping through hostname....I need to test it in my office.....

it work!!! I can ping and rdesktop using hostname without any problem in VL....but it seem a bit slow compare to windows based system. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: