Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Lightweight Browsers  (Read 2594 times)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Lightweight Browsers
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:31:31 pm »
There is a good review of the lighterweight browsers now available at this blog :

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/10/02/lightweight-browser-rundown/
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Lightweight Browsers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:41:47 pm »
H3V kicks ass!  ;D
It renders a lot better than Dillo (fonts...everything), it has proper UTF-8  support and its fast.

Great find lagagnon, that opened my eyes to other great text-mode browsers too...

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:07:45 am »
Great find lagagnon, ...
Not me really. Thanks to this wonderful Linux and other things computing news site that compiles the best stories from a number of the better news sites:

http://freshnews.org/

My favourite site in their collection is RootPrompt.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:31:06 am »
The only disadvantage I see to using H3V is where they say it takes long to load while it's rendering it's buttons and components.

That would suck.

but it does look good.

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:52 am »
Thanks for posting this lagagnon.  I'm going to keep a text file of these since I often need a light browser when X is down or I'm working with a (very) old machine.  I've been using links but IMHO more choices = better.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:16:56 am »
The only disadvantage I see to using H3V is where they say it takes long to load while it's rendering it's buttons and components.
And I don' t think there is any way around that (despite the author's hopes for the future) as it is using the Tk toolkit, which is a scripted language - very easy to program GUI stuff in - but rather slow to show.

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:33:05 pm »
And I don' t think there is any way around that (despite the author's hopes for the future) as it is using the Tk toolkit, which is a scripted language - very easy to program GUI stuff in - but rather slow to show.

True, but we have aMSN included in VL Standard, which is also a TCL/TK app.

blurymind

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:27:08 am »
a terminal broswer,which renders images without even the need of X... interesting

this article is very interesting,thank you for pointing it
status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:21:19 pm »
a terminal broswer,which renders images without even the need of X... interesting
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case.  Looks like "graphics mode" (i.e. the mode that displays images) requires some kind of x windowing server.
-Links runs in graphics mode (mouse required) on X Window System (UN*X, Cygwin), SVGAlib, Linux Framebuffer, OS/2 PMShell, AtheOS GUI
-Links runs in text mode (mouse optional) on UN*X console, ssh/telnet virtual terminal, vt100 terminal, xterm, and virtually any other text terminal. Mouse is supported for GPM, xterm, and OS/2. Links supports colors on terminal.
-Tables, frames in both graphics and text mode, builtin image display in graphics mode
-Builtin image display for GIF, JPEG, PNG, XBM, TIFF in graphics mode

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 01:07:18 pm »
I think w3m can. It uses some kind of framebuffer feature IIRC.  Not tried it though :(
http://images.google.es/images?q=w3m&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
shows it seems to render images in a console.  Don't know for tty.

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:44:47 pm »
That is cool!  Me thinks I might have to check that out!

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 02:09:33 pm »
links2 can run in the linux framebuffer, the one that displays text and bootsplash on bootup/shutdown