VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 03:38:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: problems installing vl5.8-soho-final  (Read 1196 times)
cacycleworks

« on: October 08, 2007, 03:46:54 pm »

Hi !

I'm about to reinstall linux on my at-home notebook and I found vector linux via a websearch on fast linux. I am especially interested in very fast KDE. I read some reviews, which mostly spoke highly of the distro. I've read all over the VL site and did some searching in this forum and there is not much information. I'm also considering ArchLinux + KdeMod, PCLinuxOS, openSUSE, and Sabayon.

I got the frugalware-20070928-x86_64-net.iso -- md5 is good, burned a CD, rebooted said laptop and.... nothing. The cd-rom cycled a number of times then the bios went to the HD and started up kubuntu. Said notebook is a sony vaio sz220. Dual core pentium 1.8G. This is a fairly new system with plenty of ram so the hardware should be a limiting factor. (see lspci output at end of post) But it is not "too new", like the latest Dell's and whatnot, with unsupported hardware. The only trick with this one is the 1280x800 resolution, but it works with ubuntu's i810 xorg install.

Next, I boot to command line and mount the CD. With some of the on-line help here, I went ahead with fumbling around to do:
Direct ISO on a Linux Host
If you have another Linux running on the computer, this method will be easy. You need to download the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):
    * The chosen VectorLinux ISO image file.
    * vlinstall-iso
      Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” within the FTP site
Now go to the text console (press Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follows:
    * Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware/Redhat, etc)
      init 2 <enter>
    * Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
      cd /home/download<enter>
    * Now, install using the ISO file
      ./vinstall-iso vl-5.0.iso <enter>

The fumbling around consisted of: create iso image from cd into and copy the vinstall-so script to ~root/vinstall.
Then it thought I wasn't root, so I changed the test in the script to:
if [ `whoami` = root ]; then
    return 0
fi

Next it didn't like run level 1 (I found the above instructions after the fact) so I init 2. Now the script executes but leaves me at a strange place...

echo "WARNING: these partitions are mounted:"
mount | grep -e '^/dev'
cat <<EOF

They will be excluded from installation process.
If you intend to use any of them for /, /home, etc.,
please cancel then umount them using this command:
   umount <the_partition>

Press <enter> to continue or <Ctrl>-<Break> to cancel.

Well, yeah, / and /home are mounted, duh, we're at run level 2...  Cheesy Kiss Without knowing what could happen next, I quit. I intend to reuse /home as-is, so I don't know if I should unmount it or leave it be. root on /? who cares, it's gone.

I'm not a newb, but while some of my cli foo is quite amazing, there are some aspects which I am not very good at. Maybe there is something easy I am not doing? I can install and reinstall *buntu family of OS in about 20 minutes and retaining the /home means you may not otherwise notice once logged in. I mostly use computers for e-mail and office work, but I do a bit of web/ db/ php/ perl/ programming and am curious about the potential for more speed with vector x86_64 versus kubuntu x86_64. Once I get to a stable place with my computer(s), I tend to never change things. I don't do eye candy (beryl, compiz, etc)

I'd appreciate some suggestions about things to do to get vector running; I'd love to have a bootable CD but am a little confused by all the ISOs. I still would love to try out vector linux ... and depending on how it goes, I may migrate all our computers to it...  Cheesy

Thanks!
Chris

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
05:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
05:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
05:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:54:42 pm »

Maybe I'm slow but I am a bit lost by your long post. You start by saying you could not boot a frugalware CD. I won't waste my time on that as this is a VL Forum  Wink

If you want VL with KDE download this ISO: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/iso-release/VL5.8-SOHO-final.iso . Burn it as an ISO image, check it with md5sum, ensure your BIOS is set to boot from the CDROM first and reboot your machine with the VL CD  and try it out. Come back if you have any problems...there is also a good Installation manual here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
cacycleworks

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:54:10 am »

Yes, sorry, is vector linux. frugal was another cd i burned. this system boots from cd's no problem: but not the VL5.8-SOHO-final.iso. i re-copied the cd as iso to disk and verified the md5sum is the same as posted on your site.

I tried it today again and everything went well. This makes me both  Grin Cheesy about it working and  Angry Sad about it not working yesterday!   

I'm very impressed with the install !!  Far easier than others I have done -- and as written on this site and by reviewers, the performance is absolutely stunning. With a few simple tests, I found that most apps launch in 1/3 or so the time as same procedures in kubuntu on my better laptop... (see next note)

This laptop is 32 bit 1.83Ghz. I learned that Intel's Core Duo processor is 32 bit and is just 2 pentium M on same die. I thought it was 64bit but was wrong. My better laptop is Core 2 Duo 64bit 2.0Ghz with 4M on chip memory ... so has lots of specifications.  Roll Eyes But with vector, the 32 bit machine runs office / web apps 2~3 times faster than new one! I'll play with VL on this notebook for some time to learn more and then install Vector on my work notebook!

The rest of my thoughts and observations of the installation and VL in general are probably only differences between the *buntu and VL linuxes.

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: