VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Starting netrowk automatically  (Read 1873 times)

larkl

Starting netrowk automatically
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »

I have a VL Std 5.8 installation that been running flawlessly for 3 weeks.  No issues and I love it.  I decided to put VL SOHO on my "better" PC connected by this one by KVM.  As luck would have it, I had some issues since the "better" PC has a failed eth0 embedded on the motherboard and I need it to use eth1.  In my attempts to run VASM from text mode, It seems that I accidentally ran the autoconfig network thingy on the WRONG PC (*&%%E#! KVM). 

Now the only way that the network comes up on the "used-to-be-fine" PC is by running VASM after each boot and selecting the simple networking deal.   

I guess I can add some stuff to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to make it work, but I didn't have to before.  Re-installing the whole OS seems to be a bit much. 

I haven't tried rerunning VASM from text mode.  I guess it wouldn't hurt at this point.

I did have a tar ball of some config files from before the changes, but I don't see anything obviously different here.   

Seems that it should be such an obviously easy fix.

larkl

Update
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:08:02 pm »

Well, for now I added

Code: [Select]
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to be OK.  Oh well, I learned a few things!

Tigerwolf

• Vectorite
Re: Update
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:46:45 pm »

Well, for now I added

Code: [Select]
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to be OK.  Oh well, I learned a few things!

Run vasm    (text login or if X is going, then in a terminal window)
Select NETWORK   on first menu
Select NETCONF     on next menu.
Enter appropriate stuff for your machine in the resulting menus and entry boxes.

That should rebuild /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 for your setup.   You can look at it to be sure.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006

saulgoode

• Vectorite
Re: Starting netrowk automatically
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:19:39 am »

As luck would have it, I had some issues since the "better" PC has a failed eth0 embedded on the motherboard and I need it to use eth1.

The Linux kernel will almost always assign 'eth1' to a motherboard NIC if a card-based NIC is present. The card-based NIC would be assigned 'eth0'. (I believe UDEV is able to override this; though I have never done it.)
A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: Starting netrowk automatically
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 02:10:53 am »

The Linux kernel will almost always assign 'eth1' to a motherboard NIC if a card-based NIC is present.
Not true. My laptop had an on motherboard NIC and a mini PCI wireless, and everytime I booted it was unsure which was eth1 and which was eth0. It would be nice if it worked like that though.

I believe UDEV is able to override this; though I have never done it.
Indeed, Joe1962 wrote a great howto on that: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=979.0
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.