VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:45:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting netrowk automatically  (Read 1645 times)
larkl

« on: October 08, 2007, 03:43:05 pm »

I have a VL Std 5.8 installation that been running flawlessly for 3 weeks.  No issues and I love it.  I decided to put VL SOHO on my "better" PC connected by this one by KVM.  As luck would have it, I had some issues since the "better" PC has a failed eth0 embedded on the motherboard and I need it to use eth1.  In my attempts to run VASM from text mode, It seems that I accidentally ran the autoconfig network thingy on the WRONG PC (*&%%E#! KVM). 

Now the only way that the network comes up on the "used-to-be-fine" PC is by running VASM after each boot and selecting the simple networking deal.   

I guess I can add some stuff to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to make it work, but I didn't have to before.  Re-installing the whole OS seems to be a bit much. 

I haven't tried rerunning VASM from text mode.  I guess it wouldn't hurt at this point.

I did have a tar ball of some config files from before the changes, but I don't see anything obviously different here.   

Seems that it should be such an obviously easy fix.
larkl

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:08:02 pm »

Well, for now I added

Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to be OK.  Oh well, I learned a few things!
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »

Well, for now I added

Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to be OK.  Oh well, I learned a few things!

Run vasm    (text login or if X is going, then in a terminal window)
Select NETWORK   on first menu
Select NETCONF     on next menu.
Enter appropriate stuff for your machine in the resulting menus and entry boxes.

That should rebuild /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 for your setup.   You can look at it to be sure.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:19:39 pm »

As luck would have it, I had some issues since the "better" PC has a failed eth0 embedded on the motherboard and I need it to use eth1.

The Linux kernel will almost always assign 'eth1' to a motherboard NIC if a card-based NIC is present. The card-based NIC would be assigned 'eth0'. (I believe UDEV is able to override this; though I have never done it.)

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:10:53 am »

The Linux kernel will almost always assign 'eth1' to a motherboard NIC if a card-based NIC is present.
Not true. My laptop had an on motherboard NIC and a mini PCI wireless, and everytime I booted it was unsure which was eth1 and which was eth0. It would be nice if it worked like that though.

I believe UDEV is able to override this; though I have never done it.
Indeed, Joe1962 wrote a great howto on that: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=979.0

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: