VectorLinux
November 20, 2014, 02:38:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2219 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: October 09, 2007, 06:47:01 am »

Hi.

I've been a long time Zenwalk user. While I'm pretty happy with Zenwalk, I decided it was time to look at Vector again, so I've just downloaded and installed 5.9 Standard beta 1. So far, so good, though I'm working my way up to a llot of dumb questions...

I always did like the Slackware approach, and Vector looks a great deal better than it did the last time I looked at it.

paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 07:36:18 am »

Welcome!
I've just downloaded and installed 5.9 Standard beta 1
Oh My!  Please don't let the beta version "make or break" your opinions of VL!
I haven't even tried it yet.  I've been running versions of VL59 that are younger just for the sake of packaging.  They are plenty functional, but need much polishing.  I'm sure the beta is the same. Which BTW doesn't seem to be on the server anymore.  I was planning to give it a look last night and it's gone.
So if you like our "diamond in the rough" so far, I'm sure you'll love the "final" version later on  Smiley
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:21:04 am »

Welcome!

Thanks...

Oh My!  Please don't let the beta version "make or break" your opinions of VL!
I haven't even tried it yet.  I've been running versions of VL59 that are younger just for the sake of packaging.  They are plenty functional, but need much polishing.  I'm sure the beta is the same. Which BTW doesn't seem to be on the server anymore.  I was planning to give it a look last night and it's gone.
So if you like our "diamond in the rough" so far, I'm sure you'll love the "final" version later on  Smiley

Grin Don't worry - I'm quite used to beta (and even earlier than beta) software. i've been running Zenwalk with all the latest updates for quite a while...

I like the level of choice offered by Vector, and I like some of the extra utilities (though in a number of instances I've not found menu entries and I'm a bit lost trying to find things).

So far, most things seem to work quite well. I've customised things to suit my needs, and started using the Cruxports to build a few packages that I can't live without. Had a quick look at Vpackager, which looks very promising, though its currently unusable on my laptop - it looks as though its running in 640x480 and is way oversize for my 1024x768 screen. Doesn't seem to scale either...

I've lots to learn. For instance,  I never did work out where Slackware put basic alias definitions, and I'm having the same problem with Vector. I'm also well used to the init sequence used by Zenwalk, and completely lost when it comes to Vector. But I'll get there, in the end...

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:46:03 am »

Yeah.. the cruxports that vpackager offers is not designed to run on that small of a screen. It would just look way too ugly if it did. You'll need to run at least 800x600.

It *should* be fine @ 1024x768

If you're  having problems and you dont mind, post a screenshot somewhere and let me see it, that way I can get it fixed before it goes final Wink

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:15:06 am »

Yeah.. the cruxports that vpackager offers is not designed to run on that small of a screen. It would just look way too ugly if it did. You'll need to run at least 800x600.

Sorry, can't have been clear enough. I'm running an IBM T40, screen resolution is 1024x768. But Vpackager looks as though it is running in 640x480 - even the opening screen is much bigger than it need be, and when any of the child screens are opened, they are so big that they overlap the screen edges...

It *should* be fine @ 1024x768

If you're  having problems and you dont mind, post a screenshot somewhere and let me see it, that way I can get it fixed before it goes final Wink

Smiley Well, it may be that something is broken in 5.9 beta. Anyhow, I'll take a screen shot and let you know where I put it once I've had the chance - may not be until sometime tomorrow. At the moment, I'm back in Zenwalk, and wondering about installing Vector 5.8 to replace the beta - while I don't mind beta software, I'm so unfamiliar with Vector that it may be safer to run 5.8 standard for a while. Though the only copy I've currently got is the live version, and I've never had a lot of success installing from live CDs.

paul
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 03:22:49 pm »

...At the moment, I'm back in Zenwalk, and wondering about installing Vector 5.8 to replace the beta - while I don't mind beta software, I'm so unfamiliar with Vector that it may be safer to run 5.8 standard for a while. Though the only copy I've currently got is the live version, and I've never had a lot of success installing from live CDs.paul
Yes, I would seriously suggest you use VL 5.8 Standard. t is well debugged and a final version, unlike 5.9. You are likely to have less problems. Get the ISO here: http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/iso-release/VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso . You are right: Live CD's often do not install that well to the hard drive, although to be perfectly honest, I've not yet tried doing it to our own Live CD.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:27:00 am »

...At the moment, I'm back in Zenwalk, and wondering about installing Vector 5.8 to replace the beta - while I don't mind beta software, I'm so unfamiliar with Vector that it may be safer to run 5.8 standard for a while. Though the only copy I've currently got is the live version, and I've never had a lot of success installing from live CDs.paul
Yes, I would seriously suggest you use VL 5.8 Standard. t is well debugged and a final version, unlike 5.9. You are likely to have less problems. Get the ISO here: http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/iso-release/VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso . You are right: Live CD's often do not install that well to the hard drive, although to be perfectly honest, I've not yet tried doing it to our own Live CD.

Grin I've downloaded and installed 5.8 Standard Gold (turns out the live version I had was an RC, not the final).

I've hit one or two snags with it as well. So there will be a few questions coming shortly....

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: