VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:15:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: System backup during install...  (Read 845 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: October 11, 2007, 05:15:17 pm »

My laptop is a bit on the busy side. At present, it has WinXP, OS/2 (two versions) plus Zenwalk 4.6.1, Zenwalk 4.8 and Vector 5.8. Having 3 Linux distributions on the machine, I share a /home partition amongst all of them (though I've never tried sharing users).

When I installed Vector a couple of days ago, it went through a 'system backup' at some point. I didn't think much about it, though I had intended to check what it had backed up.

Anyhow, yesterday I booted Zenwalk 4.6.1 for the first time since I installed Vector. And has a curious problem - two icons were missing from the Xfce desktop. One was the Mountpoints iocn, the other was a link to the Zenwalk web site. After a bit of checking, I found that both icons are created by .desktop files stored in ~/Desktop, and both were missing. Since they're quite generic, I decided to copy them from the Zenwalk 4.8 install (well, from the #?Desktop of the user I have set up under 4.Cool. Only to find that they were missing there as well. Not a major problem, I could copy them from one of my desktop machines.

What is strange is that, so far as I can work out, the files must have been deleted during the Vector install, and, I suspect, probably as part of the 'backup' procedure. And I don't understand why this should have been done at all.

Can anyone tell me where to find the script that creates the backups during install so I can check this?

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:30:30 pm »

/sbin/backupsys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: