VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: System backup during install...  (Read 949 times)

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
System backup during install...
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:15:17 pm »

My laptop is a bit on the busy side. At present, it has WinXP, OS/2 (two versions) plus Zenwalk 4.6.1, Zenwalk 4.8 and Vector 5.8. Having 3 Linux distributions on the machine, I share a /home partition amongst all of them (though I've never tried sharing users).

When I installed Vector a couple of days ago, it went through a 'system backup' at some point. I didn't think much about it, though I had intended to check what it had backed up.

Anyhow, yesterday I booted Zenwalk 4.6.1 for the first time since I installed Vector. And has a curious problem - two icons were missing from the Xfce desktop. One was the Mountpoints iocn, the other was a link to the Zenwalk web site. After a bit of checking, I found that both icons are created by .desktop files stored in ~/Desktop, and both were missing. Since they're quite generic, I decided to copy them from the Zenwalk 4.8 install (well, from the #?Desktop of the user I have set up under 4.8). Only to find that they were missing there as well. Not a major problem, I could copy them from one of my desktop machines.

What is strange is that, so far as I can work out, the files must have been deleted during the Vector install, and, I suspect, probably as part of the 'backup' procedure. And I don't understand why this should have been done at all.

Can anyone tell me where to find the script that creates the backups during install so I can check this?

paul.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: System backup during install...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:30:30 pm »

/sbin/backupsys