VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 01:47:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Package installation from Thunar  (Read 1952 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:30 am »

I've just installed Vector 5.9 beta and I'm in the process of setting things up the way I like them.

One of the features that I found useful in Thunar under Zenwalk is the ability to install packages using the right click menu on a package. Attempting to use this under Vector results in a message saying that I must be root to carry out the task. However, if I start Thunar from a root terminal, the right-click menu doesn't include the Install Package option.

Is there a way round this? On a related note, what is the best option for installing single packages?

paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:45:59 am »

Normally when using Thunar you can right click and install the package.  But that hasn't been implemented yet in the beta (I'm assuming since it doesn't work for you). Mine (earlier than beta) does it at this time as I've added the options.  When using Thunar click "edit" > "configure custom actions".  Scroll down to the "install package" entry.  Select it and then click the button on the right that resembles a pencil and paper "edit".  When the new window opens, add this line to the "Command" field.
gksu -g "/sbin/vinstallpkg %F"
This is assuming that you have gksu in your machine.  I compiled and installed gksu.  The devs have made a app that mimics gksu and is invoked by the same name. It's lighter weight.  Not sure if that made it into the beta at this time.

Remember, this beta really isn't/wasn't ready for the general population yet.  VL5.8 Standard or SOHO are our current "Complete" releases.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:38:52 pm »

Normally when using Thunar you can right click and install the package.  But that hasn't been implemented yet in the beta (I'm assuming since it doesn't work for you). Mine (earlier than beta) does it at this time as I've added the options.  When using Thunar click "edit" > "configure custom actions".  Scroll down to the "install package" entry.  Select it and then click the button on the right that resembles a pencil and paper "edit".  When the new window opens, add this line to the "Command" field.
Code:
gksu -g "/sbin/vinstallpkg %F"
This is assuming that you have gksu in your machine.  I compiled and installed gksu.  The devs have made a app that mimics gksu and is invoked by the same name. It's lighter weight.  Not sure if that made it into the beta at this time.

Thanks. Had a look and found that there is a command for gksu, but it does not seem to be the full gksu, so it sounds like the app you're talking about. I modified the command field, but it still doesn't work - must be something else upseting it..

Remember, this beta really isn't/wasn't ready for the general population yet.  VL5.8 Standard or SOHO are our current "Complete" releases.

Grin I'm not too worried about beta software, but I'm sufficiently unfamiliar with Vector itself to find some things confusing. I've got a copy of 5.8 Standard live, so I may replace the beta with that, at least until I know my way round Vector a biy better.

There are lots of things to like in Vector - the cruxports stuff works well, and I like some of the utilities that are included as well. I'm not sure I'd switch from Zenwalk, but its certainly an interesting alternative.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:58:46 pm »

change  gksu -g "/sbin/vinstallpkg %F"
to
/sbin/vsuper /sbin/vinstallpkg %F
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 03:00:13 pm »

to
Pretty slick!  I checked it out...  it'll replace gksu nicely without extra baggage.  And... it uses already implemented "Vasm" code from the vasm-functions.  Pretty neat how vsuper uses the real gksu, or kdesu if they are available.
Rocket science I tell ya!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:22:50 am »

to

Thanks. That worked a treat. Though for the moment, I've installed 5.8 Standard Gold so I can isolate some of the problems I was seeing.

Cheesy I guess there will be a new series of dumb questions shortly...

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: