VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 04:04:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Boot Fail of VL-5.8-Live  (Read 2927 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: October 10, 2007, 01:38:43 am »

I downloaded the iso file VL5.8-std-LIVE.iso and burned it to a CD which will not boot from it. Trying to ends with Boot failed.

Checking the md5sum of the iso file and of the CD I get, OK.

There is nothing wrong with the drive, it plays music and I can boot DSL.

What could be the hitch?

I wanted to give the CD to new convert to Linux who has problems with Ubuntu.

Regards

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:04:49 pm by Pita » Logged
cacycleworks

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:17:37 am »

Ha! Try it again tomorrow... that's exactly what happened to me.  Huh Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided

check above post. I hope it works for you ... I'm very impressed with vl 5.8 soho.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:50:56 am »

There are only a few possibilities for the CD not booting:

1) bad burn or not burned as an ISO or not a valid burn
2) BIOS not set to boot from CDROM first
3) dirty media (try cleaning the platter with soap and lukewarm water)
4) faulty CDROM drive.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:55:57 am »

You could try booting with noacpi. noapic worked for me with a nforce chipset recently.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:38:46 am »

You could try booting with noacpi. noapic worked for me with a nforce chipset recently.

From Pita's description I assumed he cannot even get the CD to boot (Boot failed) - hence my comments, because that is what he told us. Now if it actually does boot but he gets some sort of boot error or it stops somewhere along the way then that is something else altogether different, and yes, in that case, using kernel parameters for the boot sequence may help.

So Pita - give us more info, what actually happens when you attempt to boot that CD?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:43 am »

You are right Larry, I got some kernel messages with that nforce. Indeed, that looks more like a bios message than a kernel one.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:41:34 pm »

So Pita - give us more info, what actually happens when you attempt to boot that CD?

My CD drive is working properly.
I always clean the CDs with alcahol before writing.
I burned 2 CDs, both will not boot.
Those are the files and directories on the CD:

COPYING  boot           isolinux.cfg   make_disk.sh  modules           rootcopy
LICENSE  changelog.txt  livecd.sgn     make_iso.bat  optional          tools
base     filelist.txt   make_disk.bat  make_iso.sh   requirements.txt  unionfs.html

the boot directory shows:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     2048 2007-05-27 06:04 DOS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10586282 2007-03-04 13:03 initrd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   346090 2007-03-04 13:03 initrd.real
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    10648 2007-03-04 13:03 isolinux.bi_
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    10648 2007-05-27 06:09 isolinux.bin
-r--r--r-- 1 root root     2048 2007-05-27 06:09 isolinux.boot
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    99784 2007-03-04 13:03 memtest
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      111 2007-03-04 13:03 splash.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    80961 2007-03-04 13:03 splash.lss
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      694 2007-03-04 13:03 splash.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2457061 2007-03-04 13:03 vmlinuz

On booting the live CD I first get a line:
ISOLINUX.........snip.............by H. Peter Alvin

then for about 40 seconds the cursoer blinks on the next line and the yellow light on the CD drive trembles.
Then it says:
isolinux:Disk error 10, AX = 4204, drive 9F
Boot failed: press any key to retry.

Retry won't help.

I use xcdroast to burn and have no problem with DSL or Slax both live CDs or for that matter with the install CD of VL.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:36:31 pm by Pita » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:16:04 pm »

OK, so the CD is starting to boot but still not even getting to the uncompressing the Linux kernel stage. That is strange. Has anyone else had that problem with VL5.8-LIVE? I guess the only thing to try are some boot options, press F2 (or whatever to try some of the kernel options) such as noacpi or noapic...

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 10:39:08 pm »

OK, so the CD is starting to boot but still not even getting to the uncompressing the Linux kernel stage. That is strange. Has anyone else had that problem with VL5.8-LIVE? I guess the only thing to try are some boot options, press F2 (or whatever to try some of the kernel options) such as noacpi or noapic...
unquote

Sorry, I just saw I missed this line when booting before Boot failed:

isolinux: Disk error 10, AX = 4204, drive 9F

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »

I have had that error before.  Unfortunately Pita, mine was solved by burning another disc Sad  I suppose it's possible (however unlikely) that you've managed to burn two coasters of the same iso.  I can't seem to find too much other info, but if I recall, it's akin to a cyclic redundancy check error.

I'd normally say it may also be indicative of possible hardware failure, but the fact that you can boot the other two indicates that's not the case.

Perhaps it's the computer's way of saying it wants a USB-based Vector, no?

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 10:14:49 pm »

I have had that error before.  Unfortunately Pita, mine was solved by burning another disc Sad  I suppose it's possible (however unlikely) that you've managed to burn two coasters of the same iso.  I can't seem to find too much other info, but if I recall, it's akin to a cyclic redundancy check error.

I'd normally say it may also be indicative of possible hardware failure, but the fact that you can boot the other two indicates that's not the case.

Perhaps it's the computer's way of saying it wants a USB-based Vector, no?
Unquote

Thanks! You were right it was a deffective CD. The reason I did not consider it was the fact that I was able to burn Slax onto it after erasing VL-Live and could boot. Most likely since Slax is small it did not reach the bad spot.

Well I am now here in VL-Live. What a great job! Except as expected from a slack clone it loaded the module tulip instead of dmfe which is needed for a Davicom eth card I have. No problem for me I am alrady expert on that. Fedora 4 before and now DSL get that part right.

BTW how much RAM memory is needed to load copy2ram VL-Live?

Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: