VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 07:40:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: hp photosmart e317 (usb digital camera)  (Read 5123 times)
nulll

« on: October 10, 2007, 02:33:38 pm »

how can i make my
hp photosmart e317
work on my
VL SOHO 4.8Huh
the camera connects with the PC via USB

it seems not to bee detected...but at the same time the camera says that the connection was done with the PC...
have u suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:35:38 pm by nulll » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:01:33 pm »

Your camera is not supported by gphoto2, which are the libs used by linux to communicate with Digital Cameras. But the camera can work in a "disk mode". Go to the configuration menu of the camera, the usb section and switch to "Disk Drive". Then plug it again and you can mount it as a regular disk or flashdrive.

HTH.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:35:01 pm »

Try this so we can help:

1) remove camera
2) open a terminal and type "tail -f /var/log/messages"
3) connect the camera and turn it on
4) paste the messages into this thread (highlight them with your mouse, and paste into any window using the middle mouse button).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:56:28 am »

There's hope!  I downloaded the source for libgphoto2-2.2.0 since that is the version VL5.8 has. Within the camlibs/P2p2 folder I found a ChangeLog with these lines....
2006-01-21  Marcus Meissner  <marcus@jet.franken.de>

* library.c: Added HP Photosmart E317
           Added Canon PowerShot S80.
   * library.c: Relaxed Association checks for directories.
     The E317 sees AssocType 0x0 (undefined) for DCIM/ et.al.

So it "should" be supported.

Do you have the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules
If not, you need one.  I seem to remember seeing that file in the repo. In fixes I think.  Not sure why it ended up there, but I'm assuming it wasn't included with the libgphoto2 package.  I just checked a clean install of VL5.8 Standard on another partition, and it doesn't exist.  So I'd bet you don't have one either.
The kernel only see's the USB device is plugged in, and sends out a signal.  Udev takes it from there.  The rules file matches up the vendor number from the USB device and then the magic happens.
Rather then searching for the rules file on the repo, we can just create one automatically with all all the cameras your copy of libgphot2 supports.  Luckily there is a built in application that does exactly that.
If you have a copy of 30-libgphoto2.rules or any kind of "libgphoto2.rules" in /etc/udev/rules.d/.  Delete it.  No harm done since it isn't working for you anyway.  I personally don't know if the set of rules (from the repo) is the exact match anyway.

Making a new one is simple.  Open up a root console and copy and paste this into it.
Code:
/usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list \
udev-rules version 0.98 | sed 's/RUN+="version"/MODE="0660", GROUP="users"/g' \
 > /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules
All three lines at once, and hit enter.
Edited to correct above command.  See post further down.

You should now see a new set of rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/.
Try using gtkam now.  You might be in business.
Good luck  Smiley

I've recently packaged libgphoto2-2.4.0 (the latest) for VL5.9.  I included a set of matching rules for it.  When I get a chance (soon). I'll package  it up along with the new Gtkam for VL5.8 (rules included) so maybe that will end a few camera woe's in the future.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:07:16 pm by exeterdad » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:43 am »

Good info there, Exeter, thanks. I just want to add this: try running gtkam as root to use the camera and check if it works in that way.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:08:31 am »

Hopefully that wouldn't be needed as the rules set it up so the group "users" can use it.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:24:47 am »

Oh, great, my camera works only as root, but the udev rule will fix that surely.

--
Jumalauta!!
nulll

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:05:43 am »

ciao a tutti!
so let's start from the beginning

usb connection of the device:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
new lines generate while pluging the camera:
Oct 11 20:59:18 vector kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
Oct 11 20:59:28 vector kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
Oct 11 20:59:28 vector kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
...so i believe that the camera is seen by the PC

adding rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules
Code:
   udev-rules version 0.98 group users mode 0660 \
after the command i saw new rules apperign in
/etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules

then i restart all the system

i plugged the camera but the shortcut on the Desktop doesn't appear...

i have't god Gtkam, i have Xcam...
xcam doesn't see my cam...

i cand find my cam in
media:

Gtkam is needed to use my cam?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:19:09 pm »

The icon appearing on the desktop has something to do with Hal's magic.  Maybe even VLHot? And that is above my understanding.  I know there is some kind script that comes with the libgphoto package that talks to Hal (possibly in the docs folder).  But you don't need the icon, it's just a luxury. I haven't any experience with X cam. I know it's one of the frontends to Sane.  But I do know you can get Gtkam from the repos.  KDE has a camera utility as well that works with libgphoto.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:42:04 pm »

ciao null!
I think both, gtkam and xcam uses gphoto2 as a backend (I am sure about gtkam) so lets find out if gphoto2 can communicate with your camera, in a terminal type: gphoto2 --auto-detect and post the output here.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:51:38 pm »

Pssssst! gphoto2 is a cli frontend for libgphoto2.  He may or may not have it installed.  Smiley
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 03:04:37 pm »

Oh.  I posted to quickly without posting the information I wanted to.
I'm in VL5.8 now.  Turns out the command I gave you guys above doesn't work as expected with earlier versions of libgphoto2.  It didn't include the info needed to allow group users access to the camera.  I piped most of the command into sed to ammend each line to fix that.
So just run this command like earlier.  No need to delete the original rules file, it will be overwritten.
Code:
udev-rules version 0.98 | sed 's/RUN+="version"/MODE="0660", GROUP="users"/g' \
Also you may run this command in a console as any user to see what camera's are support by your libgphoto2 drivers. The hp photosmart e317 is listed.
Code:
/usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list  human-readable
I recommend he issues the new command above, then installs Gtkam.  Or gphoto2 and runs the command
gphoto2 --auto-detect
as rbistolfi suggested.
I bet he will be in good shape.
BTW...  the new version of libgphoto2 supports many more camera's.  We need to get that in the repos.
I'm going to edit my earlier post to the new command to avoid confusion to future readers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:03:51 pm by exeterdad » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »

Pssssst! gphoto2 is a cli frontend for libgphoto2.  He may or may not have it installed.  Smiley
You are right, of course.

BTW, you can install gphoto2 with gslapt or slapt-get. Did you try to switch the camera to "Drive mode"? You can use it as a flashdrive in that way. Several users reported it works.

--
Jumalauta!!
nulll

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 06:00:14 am »

Code:
/usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list  human-readable
my htp photosmart e317 is in the list

Code:
gphoto2 --auto-detect
HP PhotoSmart 317 (PTP mode)   usb

but with gtkam or xcam i can't see my cam!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 06:57:18 am »

Did you "add" your camera with gtkam?

Open gtkam.  Then at the top click "Camera".
Then "Add Camera".
Select Model "HP PhotoSmart 317 (PTP mode)" from the dropdown list. (No E317 listed?)
Click apply and you should see it loading stuff.
Hopefully you should see your camera in the left hand column of Gtkam.
Then, if that was successful, you won't have to load it again when opening Gtkam.  You just browse the camera much like a file browser.
Good luck
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: