VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:35:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Puppy 3.0 compatible with Slackware  (Read 1830 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: October 02, 2007, 08:10:22 pm »

DistroWatch (10-3-07): Distribution Release: Puppy Linux 3.0
Barry Kauler has announced the release of Puppy Linux 3.00: "Puppy 3.00 released. This Puppy is a massive upgrade from the previous (v2.17.1) version. I decided to aim for close binary compatibility with Slackware 12.0, with the objective of being able to install Slackware packages and have all or most of the required dependencies already in place. To that end, I used all the building block packages from Slackware 12, such as glibc 2.5, GCC 4.1.2 and GTK+ 2.10.13. Most of the libraries in Puppy are now from Slackware. Another major thing that I have done is totally rewritten the key scripts that control how Puppy boots up, is configured, and shuts down. Then there are some major breakthroughs, such as finally getting periodic flushing of RAM to Flash drive working properly."

Release notes
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-3.00.htm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:39:45 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:28:33 am »

this is good news.

go puppy,go!

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

blurymind wrote:
go puppy,go!

Ya, but the Slackware derivative field is getting crowded. Plus Puppy will be squeezing VL in the low-end niche, especially really old computers with <4 GB hdd space. (Actually, Puppy is already squeezing us there.)

OTOH, maybe now we can use more Puppy-spawned apps, like Grafburn!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:24:00 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 03:18:41 pm »

I like Puppy a lot, but I think you should not use it if you have more than 64mb of ram. Vector is perfect in the sector between 128mb and 512mb and higher. Puppy is nice in less than 128mb machines, you can run it in 32mb with out tweaking. I think they are complementary, but not rivals. I think vl 5.1 can give fight in the 64mb gamma though, I usually recommend it instead Puppy and my friends still love me  Smiley. I used to run it in my old Pentium-s (200mhz) with 64mb.
That is "running out of the box", 5.8 is good in less than 128mb if you do some work.

OTOH, maybe now we can use more Puppy-spawned apps, like Grafburn!

I like Grafburn as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:20:53 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 04:12:48 pm »

I like this version of puppy (and not just because it's an Australian-grown distro Smiley ) because it gives me further options.  DSL doesn't always work and getting Vector to boot off of a USB is still painful for me.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 06:05:46 am »

I have been using the Pup derivitive Grafpup 2.0 for a while and really like it. Got Pup 3.0 on another partition but haven't been able to play with it much. I have found over the years I've played with Pup that Slack and Vector packges were very easy to intall and run on Puppy.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 06:17:56 pm »

rbistolfi wrote:
I like Puppy a lot, but I think you should not use it if you have more than 64mb of ram.

Dear rbistolfi,
Puppy runs well on medium to higher end computers. Puppy is a full-featured, competent, unique operating system. I have been running Puppy 2.7 installed on this 1200 MHz Athlon / 512 MB / 20 GB system for several months. My installation has VLC, and everything else I need for everyday use..."works out of the box" comes to mind.  I can see no disadvantage in speed, performance, utility or usability by running Puppy instead of an OS with larger ISO, as your comment suggests. I believe this is a common misconception about Puppy, that it is suitable only for challenged hardware.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:39:24 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 06:36:30 pm »

I admit I use Puppy occasionally, but I prefer VL if the system can run it. I not doubt about Puppy's goodies, as I said, its great.When I judge an os, I try to see the order, efficiency and stability of the design, as far as my knowledge permits (sadly is not too much). That said, Puppy would be my second choice after VL. The configuration tools are great, and as you said, it works out of the box.
I think vl cant run "out of the box" in a lower than 128megs machine. Puppy can.
I hope I didn't offend you Wink, I love Puppy, but if I can, I run vl. In a very low end machine, I use Puppy. If I have a hi-end machine, no vl available, and I have to choose between puppy, and the fashioned, glossy, latest linux or windows, I choose Puppy Cool.
I believe this is a common misconception about Puppy, that it is suitable only for challenged hardware.
VL is a victim of that misconception too, I think VL and Puppy are good by design, I don't like to waste resources just because I have them.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: