VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 02:23:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do boot floppies still exist?  (Read 2251 times)
blackbelt_jones

« on: October 12, 2007, 04:56:45 pm »

I never thought I'd ever need a boot floppy again, but due to some seriously bad juju (and I can't explain it any better than that) booting from the hard disk and from the CD have both disappeared from my bios, leaving me only booting from a diskette as an option.  How can I get a boot floppy (I have a debian computer that still runs) and by the way can anybody tell me what the hell just happened?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 05:08:21 pm »

A guess?

The ide channels got tossed from the MB.

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:38:59 pm »

You can use your Debian computer to install Smart Boot Manager to a floppy. It should give you a list of the drives it sees and try to boot from them. Of course, if Bigpaws' guess is correct, it won't see anything but the floppy drive.

Look around in BIOS, make sure everything is enabled. You may try the "load defaults" option. Maybe there is a "detect IDE" entry. Or, maybe it's broke.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:42:35 am »

In this thread there are some other floppy boot options: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3485.0.
Hope it all turns out okay...

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:37:11 pm »

My solution was to install Slackware 11.0, which as far as I can tell, is the last slackware release to still use boot floppies. In the course of the install, I discovered that one of my hard drives wasn't reading. I replaced it, and that ended the problem.  I don't know what that would have to do with finding the CD drive in the bios, but there it is.

It was the hard drive holding the / (root) partition, not the one holding my special data, a lousy 20 GB, so it was no big loss.  I replaced it with an old 10 GB hard drive, which holds the / partition just as well as the 20 GB.
virtuallinux

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:57:56 am »

I don't know what that would have to do with finding the CD drive in the bios, but there it is.

Usually, when one device on an IDE channel goes out, it makes the other device temporarily unaccessible.

Vector 5.8 Std Gold
Compaq Armada 7800 laptop
266MHz p2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: