VectorLinux
November 29, 2014, 01:33:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade Option? (feature request)  (Read 2338 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« on: October 12, 2007, 05:31:47 pm »

Hey VL devs! I would really like to see an "upgrade" option in the next VL installer. Is this possible? If dist upgrade is going to work in VL 6, I would think that an upgrade option would not be too difficult.

The thing is, that many people, including myself, would prefer not to be forced to erase their whole drive/partition just to update to the next version. While I know that it is best to start from a clean install, it would be really nice to have an option that merely updates all the packages while keeping ones previous installation intact. It would be particularly useful to people who can't use the dist upgrade (because of slow internet or similar) or who don't want to take the time to reinstall all their programs.

I hope this is a reasonable request/suggestion. Thanks for all the hard work that you guys put into this distro!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:22:50 pm »

it would be really nice to have an option that merely updates all the packages while keeping ones previous installation intact. It would be particularly useful to people who can't use the dist upgrade (because of slow internet or similar) or who don't want to take the time to reinstall all their programs.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean (a) that during this upgrade the packages on 5.9 would replace the ones on 5.8, I would be very surprised if programs built for 5.8 would actually work on 5.9 / 6 , since the entire toolchain 5.8 packages are built against was upgraded.

If you mean that (b) ALL packages should be upgraded during install all packages currently available for 5.8 would have to be repackaged for 5.9 / 6 (even ones that perhaps nobody currently uses). This will mean massive amounts of work will have to be done before a version can be released, just because of this upgrade requirement.

This is a nice idea in theory, but I'm skeptical about the practical implications. If all packages you use are easily available through (g)slapt(-get), like in case (b), it wouldn't be that much harder to actually reinstall everything and get whatever you're missing from the repo's. The only thing you'd have to transfer is the stuff from your users /~ directories.

To anyone who's read my previous posts about development it will be no surprise that I prefer a clean but fully functional and bugfree system (or as close to that as possible) to some system that'll try to update everything, with all risks involved. I firmly believe that a stable system to start from is more important than wizardry gizmo's. If you don't feel comfortable about upgrading, nobody is forcing you to do so.

Just my thoughts, like to hear what other people think.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:34:15 am »

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean (a) that during this upgrade the packages on 5.9 would replace the ones on 5.8, I would be very surprised if programs built for 5.8 would actually work on 5.9 / 6 , since the entire toolchain 5.8 packages are built against was upgraded.

If you mean that (b) ALL packages should be upgraded during install all packages currently available for 5.8 would have to be repackaged for 5.9 / 6 (even ones that perhaps nobody currently uses). This will mean massive amounts of work will have to be done before a version can be released, just because of this upgrade requirement.

I'll let the devs figure that one out. Actually I wouldn't expect the upgrade option to work for a jump from 5.8 to 6. I'd do a clean install on that for sure. But it would be nice to see an upgrade option that works from 6.0 to 6.1 or similar.

If you don't feel comfortable about upgrading, nobody is forcing you to do so.

I didn't mean "forcing to upgrade" I meant "forced to erase disk to upgrade". Really, I think it would be nice to be able to just "upgrade" an installation instead of being forced to start from scratch when upgrading. Just a thought. I'll leave it up to the devs to decide if and how it will be implemented.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: