VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 09:44:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA1 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 28522 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 06:23:15 pm »

exeterdad, nightflier how did you install your new iso's via cd or did you use the vinstall-iso script? Seems the bottom line on the freeze issue is nvidia drivers and how there installed

vec
Normal install via CD. Typed "Linux" Chose "reiserfs" Only root partition, let the installer build the kernel module. Let it write my xorg.conf. With and without framebuffer (at boot). With and without various packages. Haven't used vinstall-iso script since 5.8.

Edit:
I've also tried with these commented out of my xorg.conf
Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option         "Composite" "on"
Same results

Did you try the old legacy driver 7185 just curious how that holds up.
Direct from Nvidia?  I will try in the morning. The wife is in bed <grin>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:49:07 pm by exeterdad » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:12:54 pm »

2) the countdown timer in lilo is placed sort of weird... it should be either inside or outside the frame, not on the edge.

Not sure why it is showing up on the edge. It was written to be at the lower part of the selection areas, in between them. Unless by somehow we mixed up the drafted version with the one that was supposed to go in? anyhow, the lilo should look something like this ...
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

Oh, that screenshot reminds me. I was going to mention the Blue Screen Of Death type color that is used. Is this still a work in progress or is that the final colors etc?

I like the middle part, the part with the choices, or in the case of the login screen, the place with the user names and stuff. It looks shiny. Nice! However, the rest of the screen is that blue color which brings up baaad memories from the windows days.   Cheesy

I thought the 5.8 SOHO login screen and stuff look very professional and nice. I hope this version can aspire to the same level of cosmetic appeal as 5.8 SOHO.  Wink

EDIT: Is Gimp 2.4 going to be included? If the final release of Gimp 2.4 doesn't come out in time, I have found RC3 to be more than stable enough to be included in VL (no crashes, no bugs that I've found). It would be a big improvement over Gimp 2.2 being included. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:45:43 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:01 pm »

I get the following error when trying to start X:
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
giving up.
I am sending this post now out of lynx in VL-5.9
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 08:06:39 pm »

exeterdad, nightflier how did you install your new iso's via cd or did you use the vinstall-iso script? Seems the bottom line on the freeze issue is nvidia drivers. Did you try the old legacy driver 7185 just curious how that holds up.

Installed from burned CD. I agree that the nvidia-legacy driver seems to be the culprit, as the newest one from nV did not have that issue. Driver 7185.. is that the "nv" driver? It gave me no problems.

Tomorrow I'll make a clean install and try the new xfce package, as well as test out a newer nV card (GF6200).
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 12:52:27 am »

EDIT: Is Gimp 2.4 going to be included? If the final release of Gimp 2.4 doesn't come out in time, I have found RC3 to be more than stable enough to be included in VL (no crashes, no bugs that I've found). It would be a big improvement over Gimp 2.2 being included. Just a thought.

I agree. Its even more stable than  2.2 in my book.At least for big files. would be no good not to upgrade it, now that most distros have done it. Undecided

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:28 am »

Just download VL59 STD Beta 1 and install it in my XP PC using VirtualBox 1.4....
every look nice and neat as what I see from VL 58 GOLD....especially the new GUI login page....really look nice
but then I found that it contain less application. Gkrellm, shutterbug and other applications is missing. I hope at the final version it will be back..... 

second thing is there is some icon missing from the start menu........the missing icon is About Xfce, Autostarted Applications and Database Access Properties. From /usr/share/applications, I look into the Database Access's .desktop and found out the icon's command is about strange. Could it be the problem?

Comment[zh_TW]=設定您的資料庫環境
Icon=gnome-db
Exec=gnome-database-properties-3.0
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Settings;AdvancedSettings;
StartupNotify=true
The icon for both of those .desktop files is in:
/usr/share/pixmaps/libgnomedb-3.0/gnome-db.png
Adding the full path to your .desktop files would fix it, or moving/copying the gnome-db.png to /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-db.png
When checking the menu entry for "about xfce" there isn't a icon assosiated with it.

I know the missing icon is a minor issue and can be fix by chaging the .desktop file but then this minor issue will be solve when the final version is release...... Smiley
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 03:51:32 am »

exeterdad, nightflier how did you install your new iso's via cd or did you use the vinstall-iso script? Seems the bottom line on the freeze issue is nvidia drivers. Did you try the old legacy driver 7185 just curious how that holds up.

vec
Okay, I did it.  I used VASM and for the first time tried the "expert" button.  Pretty sweet!  I installed the older driver without a hitch.  Then startx into xfce.  Opened a Terminal and opened mc, and it actually worked!??
But there's a big catch.  My screen res wasn't right (looked like 600x800) and can only be described as "fuzzy looking".  I tried to adjust through xfce display settings and saw I didn't have the deeper settings available.  Checked out my xorg.conf and it looked like the settings were all there for each depth.  Default depth was 24 which is correct.  I did notice however that the monitor section was very generic and didn't seem to have any useful information for the server.  I copied the monitor info from a xorg.conf from my working (new driver) partition.  I didn't add anything else because I'm sure there are more options with the new driver.
I restarted the server and it came up looking crisp and correct.  But when I opened mc with a terminal, it froze instantly like before.
Oh, and this is with the new/trial/science-experiment xfce package installed.
Don't know how helpful this was, but if you want me to try anything else, let me know.  My partition is your partition  Wink
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 05:14:26 am »

Allright.. found the 7185 driver and reverted to it. Installed the new XFCE package and got *almost* the same result as exeterdad. Exception is that I don't get any lockups like before.

Not sure how valid of a test it is, since I had the latest driver from nV installed previously and can't assure that there are no pieces left over. Will need to re-format/re-install to make sure. Starting with this clean slate, what new packages, in what order, should I try?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 05:52:08 am »

ffmpeg doesn't work, it complains:

ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libdc1394_control.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Seems to me like either libdc1394 will have to be added or ffmpeg will have to be rebuilt.

2) the countdown timer in lilo is placed sort of weird... it should be either inside or outside the frame, not on the edge.

Not sure why it is showing up on the edge. It was written to be at the lower part of the selection areas, in between them. Unless by somehow we mixed up the drafted version with the one that was supposed to go in? anyhow, the lilo should look something like this ...

Well, it didn't last time I checked :-). I'll see if I can find my crappy old cam and take a snap.

[edit]

I couldn't find the old crappy digital cam, but I did notice something else: my bootsplash looks very different from the one you posted here. So, here's another mockup:

Something I just noticed: there's an icon called "me.face.icon" (my regular user is called "me") in /. It shouldn't be there should it? Polluting / is not good!

[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:28:50 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
normnmiles

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:17 am »

To the Vector Crew.  5.9 is shaping up to be a very nice release.  My install went well and I didn't experience any problems.  All my hardware was detected successfully (Dell GX280).  I only had one lockup when I was adding mount points in VASM.  I was trying to mount an NTFS partition and VASM disappeared and my system became unresponsive.  This isn't a big deal to me and I am not even sure if NTFS is supported but was something I noticed.

Thanks again.  Can't wait for the final Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 08:21:52 am »

Test system Two: P4-2.4 HT, 1G, nV GF6200.

The included nvidia-latest (100.14.19) installed without a hitch. Performance is great. No lockup bug as on other system.

Re.: LILO timer placement: It's centered on lower edge of graphic on both of my systems.

- Then something of a disappointment when running hardinfo Tongue   While my other machine, an AMD Barton 2600+, 1G, GF2MX400, ended up on top in all the benchmarks, this one found itself second to the 1.5 GHz Celeron in half of them. While the AMD system generated a report and saved it to a file, this one crashes. Console output of hardinfo (showing just some first and last lines):
Code:
root:# hardinfo
*** glibc detected *** hardinfo: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0xb757d551 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
<snip>
b7f85000-b7f87000 rwxp 0001b000 03:01 10275      /lib/ld-2.5.so
bffb7000-bffca000 rwxp bffb7000 00:00 0          [stack]
bffca000-bffcd000 rw-p bffca000 00:00 0
Aborted
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:38 am »

Strange findings but in my case it boils down to the 7185 driver does not work for me.

After nightfliers report of having a working 7185, I did a clean install.  When it came to the X portion of the intall... I chose "auto" for the screen res.  I've never tried that before as I know mine is 1280 x 1024.  I selected 24 bit for the depth like I usually do.  When it came time for driver, I chose "expert", then 7185, and finished the install.
After finishing the remaining install and configuring, I booted into a beautiful desktop. The configure nailed it.  Everything was nice looking.  I opened up a Terminal and typed "mc".  It ran without locking me up.  I ran glxgears, the framerate was an acceptable 822 or so.  I goofed around a while trying to break things and it didn't.
I checked out my xorg.conf and it looked great.  My monitor wasn't the actual brand name this time, but it was the right manufacture and model.  And most importantly all the right specs were listed. I backed up and labeled the xorg.conf, switched to init 2 and ran VASM.
I went through the usual hardware stuff, selected "auto" again for screen res, but this time selected the nvidia legacy driver.  The installer fires up and I noticed it was the old 7185 again instead of 9639 as I expected.  So I let it run it's course and went to init 4.  KDM was big and ugly, and it booted me into a big, ugly and fuzzy desktop. I compared xorg.conf's to find them very different.  I backed up and labled that xorg.conf and then reverted backed to my earlier backup.  I did the cntrl+alt+backspace to restart X.  KDM was still big and nasty, and the booted desktop was the same.  Even with the good xorg.conf.  So I did a complete reboot and all was pretty again.
So I opened Terminal and ran mc, opened another running glxgears, opened the Nvidia X server settings application to show driver hardware information, opened Gimp and made a nice screenshot to share.  Then I closed out everything, found my screenshot with Thunar, and right clicked and selected "view with GQview".  The system froze just like before.  Hard reboot.  Tried the same thing again. Freeze. Hard reboot, Tried Terminal + mc, sucess.  Tried right click in Thunar > view image in GQview with my screenshot, freeze.

I'm done.  Hard reboot TUI > VASM > X stuff > Expert > 9639 nvidia driver.
So far everything is beautiful and stable.  I checked xorg.conf and my monitor section is generic again:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection
  But it's running nice and that's what's important.
And... even though it's not the latest nvidia driver for legacy, I have the same new sexy splash screen I noticed with the newest driver.  So that confirms that in my case, simply selecting nvidia legacy while doing a VL install got me the old 7185 driver every time.

So far all is good with the vlnvidia 9639 setup for my machine, using the same xfce that comes with the beta cd.
I'll keep you posted if anything changes.  Sorry such a long post, I'm trying to include any detail I think "might" be valuble.

Timer block looks the same on my machine as shown in posted image....  But.  It is overlapping (downwards) 50%
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:37 am »

right click in Thunar > view image in GQview, freeze.
Verified in test system One, after new install, accepting defaults along the way (nvidia-legacy).

Will keep this system unchanged until I get suggestions from devs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Test system One: AMD Barton 2600+, 1G, GF2MX400.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 09:45:06 am »

nightflier,
can you try removing the nvidia driver
change to init 2
run "nvidia-installer --uninstall"
run vxconf and choose the nv driver
startx and make sure there are no lockups
then return to init 2 and run "/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-7185/nvidia-installer" and install the driver
after it installs change the driver in xorg.conf from nv to nvidia and see if that locks up the system.
then return to init 2 and run nvidia-xconfig and let us know the results.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: