VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 09:28:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA1 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 27848 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 12:50:32 am »

For niteflier and exeterdad two new packages to try see if the Terminal freeze goes away: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/Terminal-0.2.6-i586-1vl59.tlz just do installpkg here.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/vte-0.16.6-i586-1vl59.tlz
do upgradepkg on this one..........see if that fixes the freezies ...........fingers crossed

cheers,
vec
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:55:45 am by vector » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 01:55:16 am »

Thanks Vec, I'll give em a shot later today.  I have to keep the vlnvidia package out of my system for a bit longer while packaging.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 03:25:09 am »

I just have to add that I was unaware of nvidia driver issues using the pseudo 2.1 release. (http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4507.msg29524#msg29524) I usually don't install the drivers as I don't need them for compiling. But I did needed to test some Open GL games I had packaged. I couldn't find my unmarked  Roll Eyes 2.1 CD to install vlnvidia so I downloaded the legacy driver from Nvidia.  It was a newer version then what VL uses.
Version: 96.43.01
Operating System: Linux x86
Release Date: September 18, 2007

Release Highlights

* Improved compatibility with recent versions of X.Org X servers.
    * Fixed a TV-OUT corruption problem on some GeForce 4 GPUs.
    * Fixed a bug that resulted in the generation of incorrect EDIDs on some notebooks.
    * Improved power management support with some GeForce 4 based notebooks.
    * Improved compatibility with recent Linux 2.6 kernels.
    * Fixed an 'nvidia-installer' bug that was causing the installer to treat some of its temporary files as conflicting.

I never had a single hiccup and I have to say my old GeForce2 MX/MX 400 ran the games shockingly smooth. I had the driver installed for about 5 long days, game testing and multitasking with multiple terminals open.
And the Nvidia splashscreen was pretty sexy looking  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:26:45 am by exeterdad » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 05:29:10 am »

I've been packaging some games lately and have noticed if I set the prefix to /usr/games, the menu entries will not show up in XFCE.  Ever.  /usr/games is in the path. I can see the .desktop fine if I browse /usr/share/applications.  When I try to execute the desktop from Thunar, it will not. This seems to apply when the full path to the game is not within the .desktop file.  If I edit the .desktop to include the full path, it works within Thunar, and (eventually) shows up in Xfce's menu under games.  From what I can see, the /usr/games path is added from the .bashrc.  Is it possible xfce is loading before the .bashrc and it is ignoring the appended path?  Would appending the path within profile.d fix this? I seem to remember someone packaging a game for VL5.8 and the menu entry refusing to show up in xfce (joel1962 maybe?)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 05:57:56 am »

For niteflier and exeterdad two new packages to try see if the Terminal freeze goes away: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/Terminal-0.2.6-i586-1vl59.tlz just do installpkg here.
do upgradepkg on this one..........see if that fixes the freezies ...........fingers crossed

cheers,
vec

The packages aren't there  Undecided
Just installed kernel sources and vlnvidia driver.  I can confirm, Terminal + mc = instant freeze.  xterm + mc = good.  Now just waiting to try your new packages.

Edit: I just installed the beta on another partition without installing vlnvidia drivers.  Went to Nvidia and got the driver I mentioned earlier and I can now open mc with Terminal.  All seems stable so far.  I'll let ya know if it changes.  I still have the other install on the other partition ready to test those updated packages if you still need them tested.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:51:04 am by exeterdad » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 06:51:55 am »

Just download VL59 STD Beta 1 and install it in my XP PC using VirtualBox 1.4....
every look nice and neat as what I see from VL 58 GOLD....especially the new GUI login page....really look nice
but then I found that it contain less application. Gkrellm, shutterbug and other applications is missing. I hope at the final version it will be back..... 

second thing is there is some icon missing from the start menu........the missing icon is About Xfce, Autostarted Applications and Database Access Properties. From /usr/share/applications, I look into the Database Access's .desktop and found out the icon's command is about strange. Could it be the problem?

Comment[zh_TW]=設定您的資料庫環境
Icon=gnome-db
Exec=gnome-database-properties-3.0
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Settings;AdvancedSettings;
StartupNotify=true
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 07:14:08 am »

Just download VL59 STD Beta 1 and install it in my XP PC using VirtualBox 1.4....
every look nice and neat as what I see from VL 58 GOLD....especially the new GUI login page....really look nice
but then I found that it contain less application. Gkrellm, shutterbug and other applications is missing. I hope at the final version it will be back..... 

second thing is there is some icon missing from the start menu........the missing icon is About Xfce, Autostarted Applications and Database Access Properties. From /usr/share/applications, I look into the Database Access's .desktop and found out the icon's command is about strange. Could it be the problem?

Comment[zh_TW]=設定您的資料庫環境
Icon=gnome-db
Exec=gnome-database-properties-3.0
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Settings;AdvancedSettings;
StartupNotify=true
The icon for both of those .desktop files is in:
/usr/share/pixmaps/libgnomedb-3.0/gnome-db.png
Adding the full path to your .desktop files would fix it, or moving/copying the gnome-db.png to /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-db.png
When checking the menu entry for "about xfce" there isn't a icon assosiated with it.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 07:28:40 am »

- Got the packages and installed. No change.

-- Then I downloaded the driver from nvidia.com (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run) and installed. No more problem.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 07:30:43 am »

Installed on my IBM T40. No problems during the install, and its working pretty well.

At the start of boot, I'm getting the following:

Code:
xd: out of memory

No idea what it means, and it doesn't seem to affect anything, but the error is consistent.

I've not had any lockups, though I normally run MC using Aterm instead of the Xfce terminal.

One question - USB devices are being automounted (I selected Vl-hot during the install), but CDs aren't. Is this normal behaviour?

I like Vlpackager, but it doesn't seem to scale much, and the fonts are too large for the laptop 1024x768 screen.

paul.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 09:20:53 am »

Some minor annoyances about this otherwise great version:

1) Not all descriptions for the optional packages are correct, and some are too long to be displayed:

- dillo: A graphical webbrowser in less than 400 kb(530k)
- Fluxbox is a X11 windowmanager build for speed a.... (too long)

2) the countdown timer in lilo is placed sort of weird... it should be either inside or outside the frame, not on the edge.

That's it for now, I'll post others when (if) I find them.

Keep up the good work!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 09:41:33 am »

One question - USB devices are being automounted (I selected Vl-hot during the install), but CDs aren't. Is this normal behaviour?
Yes. if you use vl-hot then you can mount cdroms from the mount plugin in the panel.
its just to the left of the desktop switcher.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 04:20:30 pm »

DEVS: This may not be applicable to VL Standard, but in preparation for KDE 4, the Hal fdi files need to be installed:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4523.msg29606#new

Please look into this. They may already be installed on a VL59 system but I don't know. They may only need to be installed on SOHO but it might be a good idea to included them in Standard for compatibility reasons.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:22:07 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 04:33:29 pm »

nightflier, and exeterdad
can you try this pkg: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/xfce4-4.4.1-i586-6vl59.tlz
see if it helps your teminal issues Smiley

Dweeberkitty,
We have lots of .fdi files in our hal packages, so I think we are covered there.

Thanks
Uelsk8s

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 04:53:33 pm »

nightflier, and exeterdad
can you try this pkg: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/xfce4-4.4.1-i586-6vl59.tlz
see if it helps your teminal issues Smiley
Cry Sorry man,  I installed it on the partition running vlnvidia legacy.  Opened terminal, typed mc, and froze instantly. It's the strangest thing.  The mouse works great.  Can't click on anything.  No mouseover effects.  Keyboard and LED's dead Everything freezes solid. You have to hit the button on the computer.

The new install with downloaded Nvidia drivers has been running flawlessly.  I've tried to load the system.  Been using heavy GL games and GL screensavers.  It is solid.  The freezup is dependable when clicking the "preview" button when posting in this board too.  Cheesy  I guess the javascript overloads it too.

Thanks for trying guys.

Edit:  I've been thinking.  I didn't remove any Xfce related things from my home directory before testing the new package.  Maybe something offending could of been left behind?  Thinking about creating a new user and testing again.  But also, what files should I delete from this users new home directory to test if it's related to anything (VL related) that's inherited from /etc/skel ? Might be worth a shot.

Edit again: I tried a new user with .config folder removed.  Man is stock xfce ugly! No change.  It isn't a VL settings thing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:29:39 am by exeterdad » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »

exeterdad, nightflier how did you install your new iso's via cd or did you use the vinstall-iso script? Seems the bottom line on the freeze issue is nvidia drivers. Did you try the old legacy driver 7185 just curious how that holds up.

vec
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:23:24 pm by vector » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: