VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 02:49:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA1 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 26654 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 09:49:41 am »

Installed without problems and working very fast! Looks amazing. A few things:

• At the new system information and benchs tool, selecting "Sumary", "Display" or "Save report" ends with the x server down. The sensor reports cpu temp out of the box, that is nice.
  • A minor one: a few menu items are missing: at the system menu there is no entrys for vasm and vl-hot-config.
  • JWM exits to a console login instead kdm as usual in vl.
  • I have two audio cards, I selected the one linux compatible, the other has no drivers. After boot both modules are inserted. I dont know if this is a vl issue.
  • The keymap choosen during install for the x server didnt work here neither. Vasm fixed it.

A question: Which is the better way to check ram usage? free command returns 20mb free of a 512 total. That is wrong. cat /proc/meminfo reports similar value. Htop a more reasonable one: 159mb. How much would be an expected value?

Good things I found: The sis driver from xorg is actually working, it never did before. I always had to edit xorg.conf and switch to vesa.
The cxacru module is loaded at startup, which is ok, this box has a win-usb-modem atached. I will search for some control scripts to check if it actually works, the modem gets adsl signal.

Thats all, it is looking great devs! I will check the nvidia drivers later, I have an nvidia card around.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 10:43:31 am »

nightflier,
can you try removing the nvidia driver
change to init 2
run "nvidia-installer --uninstall"
run vxconf and choose the nv driver
startx and make sure there are no lockups
then return to init 2 and run "/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-7185/nvidia-installer" and install the driver
after it installs change the driver in xorg.conf from nv to nvidia and see if that locks up the system.
then return to init 2 and run nvidia-xconfig and let us know the results.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

My results:

change to init 2 Ok
run "nvidia-installer --uninstall" OK
run vxconf and choose the nv driver  OK
startx and make sure there are no lockups OK can't make it lockup. glxgears slow
then return to init 2 and run "/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-7185/nvidia-installer" and install the driver OK
after it installs change the driver in xorg.conf from nv to nvidia and see if that locks up the system. Terminal+wc= OK, Thunar>rightclick>view image with GQview= Freeze
then return to init 2 and run nvidia-xconfig and let us know the results. Command not found

updatedb
locate nvidia-xconfig
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-9639/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-9639/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-xconfig.1.gz
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-9762/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-9762/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-xconfig.1.gz
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-100.14.19/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig
/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-100.14.19/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-xconfig.1.gz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 11:26:07 am »

change to init 2
run "nvidia-installer --uninstall"
run vxconf and choose the nv driver
startx and make sure there are no lockups
then return to init 2 and run "/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-7185/nvidia-installer" and install the driver
after it installs change the driver in xorg.conf from nv to nvidia and see if that locks up the system.
then return to init 2 and run nvidia-xconfig and let us know the results.

- After those steps all seems to be working fine here. No immediate lockups. Glxgears show good performance.
-- same thing as exeterdad with reference nvidia-xconfig.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 02:33:47 pm »

I noticed that /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc still contained a lot of old repo's. On Uelsk8s' request, I tested every single one of them and removed the ones that didn't work. Then, I searched the web and found quite a couple of repositories that were not documented anywhere here or on the site, I added them. I pastebin'd the up-to-date slapt-getrc here (it was a little too long to put it here):

http://pastebin.ca/741689

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 04:03:08 pm »

- After those steps all seems to be working fine here.

Update that, I managed to lock it up again. This time using Terminal, doing a remote ssh session and launching mc on a remote system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test system One: AMD Barton 2600+, 1G, GF2MX400, NVIDIA-7185
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2007, 05:20:25 pm »

I've been playing with Hardinfo. Works ok here, unless I attempt to click on the Sensors button. That kills it instantly with this error:

*** glibc detected *** hardinfo: munmap_chunk{}: invalid pointer: 0xb74fb551 ***

Smiley If you want the backtrace, I'll have to do it later - its long and I'm not on the right machine.

Attempting to generate a report has the same effect, as well as producing a zero length html file.

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »

I like Vlpackager, but it doesn't seem to scale much, and the fonts are too large for the laptop 1024x768 screen.

paul.

Can you take a screen shot and post the link here?

This problem should be fixed. Also make sure you are running vpackager-1.0.1 RC2

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 07:23:14 pm »

I like Vlpackager, but it doesn't seem to scale much, and the fonts are too large for the laptop 1024x768 screen.

paul.

Can you take a screen shot and post the link here?

This problem should be fixed. Also make sure you are running vpackager-1.0.1 RC2

Ok, I should be able to do that within a few hours. As to the version, the about button simply says 1.0.1. I've not updated it since installing 5.9 beta 1 ( Grin the second beta 1, that is...).

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2007, 07:31:56 pm »

I've got a problem with the Mount Partitions option in VASM. I selected it, then selected Add and selected hda1, which is the Windows XP partition (my laptop is a busy machine - it has XP Pro, two copies of OS/2, two copies of Zenwalk (one 4.6.1, one 4.8 ) and Vector 5.9 beta).

In the partition selection window, /dev/hda1 is shown as HPFS/NTFS (which is quite correct). However, in the 'Mont Options' window, the text says 'The /dev/hda1 uses xfs file system' Huh??

The final modification to /etc/fstab is unusable for this partition, since it is listed as xfs. Easy enough to change manually, but certainly unworkable from VASM.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2007, 09:38:44 pm »

nightflier, exeterdad,
can you download this driver and see if it does any better for you?
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/71.86.01/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.01-pkg1.run

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 04:28:53 am »

nightflier, exeterdad,
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/71.86.01/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.01-pkg1.run

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
No luck here  Undecided  Just so you know I used the "procedure" listed earlier, but without the: /usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-XXXX/nvidia-installer of course. I wasn't able to make it past Terminal + mc in several attempts.

I even made a nvidia generated xorg.conf by running "/usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-9639/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig", it was a pretty xorg.conf, but it didn't help.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 07:44:48 am »

I ran the installer. It detected and removed old driver, and installed okay.

Edit: Found a pattern:
When running as root, it locks up when I am in Terminal, doing SSH session to my Debian server, and launching mc on remote machine. Local operations okay.

When running as user: it is the other way around. Local operations give lockup, remote don't.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:28:00 am by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 07:50:26 am »

Media files on samba share, mounted using vlsmbmnt:
- If there is a space in the file name, mplayer will not open them.
-- Xine does not have that problem.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2007, 09:38:49 am »

2) the countdown timer in lilo is placed sort of weird... it should be either inside or outside the frame, not on the edge.

Not sure why it is showing up on the edge. It was written to be at the lower part of the selection areas, in between them. Unless by somehow we mixed up the drafted version with the one that was supposed to go in? anyhow, the lilo should look something like this ...

Well, it didn't last time I checked :-). I'll see if I can find my crappy old cam and take a snap.

[edit]

I couldn't find the old crappy digital cam, but I did notice something else: my bootsplash looks very different from the one you posted here. So, here's another mockup:

Something I just noticed: there's an icon called "me.face.icon" (my regular user is called "me") in /. It shouldn't be there should it? Polluting / is not good!

[/edit]
[/quote]

Hehe, yep looks like it was a mix up.Thanks for pointing it out. Anyhow problem solved and will/should be in next release.We're going with something different, but I won't spoil by telling the details  Grin

Oh, the me.face-icon, I think that's part of an icon set,
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2007, 09:56:02 am »

With regard to the GIMP version 2.4 issue, I should like to share some of my thoughts.

While it is impossible to predict the actual release schedule for a stable version of GIMP 2.4, if I had to hazard a guess then I would expect final release to happen sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. There will probably be another release candidate appearing soon, which would be followed soon afterward by the final 2.4.0. If the Vector developers expect development of their beta testing to take a month or more, they may wish to consider including the GIMP release candidates in their betas, with the hope of including a stable GIMP 2.4 when VL 6.0 is announced.

Whether or not the Vector developers decide to pursue this is, of course, their choice; but if it is considered, I thought I'd mention the following issues that would need addressing:

Most of the GIMP's dependencies seem to be met by the current beta packages. However, the Pango library would need to be updated to a later version:
    Pango (version 1.19.0 required, 1.16.4 provided)
    PangoFT2  (version 1.12.2 required, not provided?)

If help is to be provided, then the following packages would be required:
    gtkdoc version 1.0
    gtkhtml2 version 2.0

Additionally, VL 5.9's PACKAGES.TXT lists version 0.22.0 of 'gdkpixbuf' (which may be a typo or I am misconstruing things) -- GIMP v2.4 would require version 2.10.13. (EDIT: it appears that gdk-pixbuf is now included with GTK+-2.0, so the package in the list is probably there for usage by GTK-1.2.)

Finally, Gutenprint is the preferred replacement for 'gimp-print' and should probably be considered for inclusion in VL 6.0 regardless of whether GIMP 2.2 or 2.4 is provided.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:08:36 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: