VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:22:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desperate on getting wlan to work  (Read 1692 times)
Pasteur

« on: October 08, 2007, 09:15:22 am »

Hey!

I'm totally n00b in using Linux. I have now installed Vector on my old dell latitude L400 laptop (12,1", 10gb, 700mhz, 128mb) and in runs like a charm. I've also tried Xubuntu, Zenwalk and DamnSmall but found this the Best by far!

Now, the only problem is that (well I don't have sound either but that really doesn't matter) my external pci Buffalo Airstation WLI-CB-G54HP doesn't work. Or well... I don't even know how it should work in Linux.

I have been trying to mess around with ndiswrapper and bcm43xx-fwcutter and I've spent hours and hours on google but haven't really got anything to work. Now, I would really deeply appreciate if someone would have time to help me how to get the wlan work step-by-step.

I don't have an ethernet connection either yet - 'cause I just moved. Sad

The mainthing I've accomplished so far is that I've been able to check that the pc finds the card. (from root "lspci") When I've tried to use ndiswrapper to a file that should work (bcmwl5.inf and *.sys) it says that those drivers have already been installed.

Like I said I'm in desperate need of guidance and really a beginner. I would love to get in to the world of Linux and start learning things but without a connection on that pc it might never really happen...
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:25:48 am »

Here is a link to Ndiswrapper.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

Follow the instructions past the installation area.

There is a driver listed in the list of cards that you can download.

That should get you going.

Bigpaws
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:49:43 am »

Try this howto http://vectorlinux.com/wiki/doku.php?id=howtos:wlan-broadcom

Pasteur

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:53:15 am »

Thanks mate! It should get me going shouldn't it? But no.

First, time I used those instructions it said something about kernel etc. Then I tried Xubuntu and returned to Vector I tried it again and now it's saying that the driver I'm trying to install has already been installed.

Anyway, what next? If the driver is installed how should the pci-card work. No lights are on or anything.

But yes I've read the wiki on ndiswrapper and tried to implement the instructions. And yes, in the device list there is also info on working driver, which I have downloaded.

Huh
Pasteur

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:54:10 am »

MOE-inx: Thanks. THAT I haven't yet read... I'll get to it!

EDIT: Yes, that seemed to be specific enough for me. Smiley I'll get around to it once I have some more time but that might do it. (eventhough I don't have wired connection at this point)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:10:38 am by Pasteur » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

If you do not have a wired connection, make sure you have everything you need with you (on a CD or something)

Pasteur

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:48:42 am »

That how-to was good! (http://vectorlinux.com/wiki/doku.php?id=howtos:wlan-broadcom)

I was able to get my pci-card working using native linux drivers just with 3 commands. Smiley It's quite rare that stuff works as it's supposed to.

But I have wep encryption. Somewhy I wasn't able to get into my router to change it... If I wan't to use wep encryption, how do I connect? WIFI radar finds networks but doesn't find ip numbers...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: