VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Aliases  (Read 1801 times)

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Aliases
« on: October 18, 2007, 05:47:58 pm »

This is more curiosity than anything else. Can someone tell me where basic aliases are defined?

I would normally expect them to be in /etc/profile, but they're not there. They're also not in ~/.bashrc. I've looked through the scripts in /etc/profile.d and can't find them there either. So I'm lost. Had the same problem under Slackware.

I can always add aliases to ~/.bashrc but I would love to know where the basic set is defined...

paul

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Aliases
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 05:53:13 pm »

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 07:25:16 pm »

This might help you:

http://www.dualisanoob.com/slack_102_tips.txt

Bigpaws

Thanks, that's a useful link. I'll have to bookmark it...

As it happens, I found the answer to my question. Aliases are defined in /etc/profile.d/coreutils-dircolors.sh. So if I want to add aliases that are system wide and available in login shells, that's the place to put them.

paul.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:22:46 am »

I am travelling and not on my Linux box at the moment but perhaps in a file called "profile.d" - can't remember the directory, so use "locate profile.d" to find it.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll