VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 06:55:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that it appears I'm here for a bit...  (Read 3337 times)
paul.drover

« on: October 18, 2007, 04:38:23 am »

... thought I'd say hi. I'm Paul. I'm in Canada. I'm a SW Engineer and I've Ubuntu at home.

I'm also a volunteer referb'ing old and discarded machine for donation to people who cannot afford computers. A local college recently unloaded about 100 of these old machines (my garage is blocked with boxes, monitors, keyboards and mice Smiley ) Most of them have Win98 on the disks, but they cannot be shipped that way because of licensing issues. So Linux is the way to go. I came upon VL recently when looking for a distro that would work well on these old (to ancient) machines. Ubuntu, while zippy on my more modern machine, simply would not cut it on these old boxes. So I've just brought the first one back to life with VL 5.8. Looks good so far. I have to make sure that it has a decent word processor (hoping for OpenOffice), email support, modem support, network support, web browser, CD support and can support printing. I think VL is a match on all counts (though I may have to download OpenOffice separately).

So that's who I am and what brought me here.  Hi all.

Paul.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:52:59 am »

I'm also a volunteer referb'ing old and discarded machine for donation to people who cannot afford computers.
One of our other members (lagagnon) does something like that too.

I have to make sure that it has a decent word processor (hoping for OpenOffice), email support, modem support, network support, web browser, CD support and can support printing.
Open Office may be a little slow, if it's acceptable depends on what sort of machines they are and how much patience you have Cheesy. Wouldn't abiword do the trick?
As long as the modem is supported by the kernel there shouldn't be much trouble there. Winmodems on the other hand...
VL can print thanks to cups.

I think VL is a match on all counts (though I may have to download OpenOffice separately).
yes, vl 5.8 standard doesn't come with OOo by default, as it's quite heavy.

Welcome to the forum!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:36 am »

Hello again Paul  Smiley You will find Openoffice in the "extra" repo.  Just open up gslapt > Edit > Preferences > Sources.
Then add this line: http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/extra/ to the entry box at the bottom, then click the "Add+" button.
You may consider adding http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing/ and http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/patches/ as well. Click "OK" and gslapt should download all the package info's from the sources listed.

It's also necessary to click the "update" button in gslapt every so often to update any new additions or changes made to the repos.

I think you'll be very pleased with VL on those computers.  There are others like you on this board having great success. But don't think for a second you won't be giving "support" to your lucky recipients.  Not all is plug and play as you know from your linux history.  Printing for example.
paul.drover

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:14:49 am »

Thanks Exeterdad. All that presumes an internet connection, which I currently don't have wired to my garage. I think I'll have to rely on sneaker-net to get my data (unless I lug the box to the other end of the house), at least until I can convince my wife that running an ethernet cable through the house is a good idea Smiley .
Paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:22:11 am »

at least until I can convince my wife that running an ethernet cable through the house is a good idea
I'm quite certain she'll be fine with that.

I just love it when I crack myself up!  Cheesy My wife would have a bird!
paul.drover

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:26:24 am »

Don't you just love cultural diversity? My wife would have kittens. Smiley
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:30:50 am »

My wife would have a bird!
My wife would have kittens.

Just make sure you don't get any sort of rodents in the house, or your wires will be used to sharpen already sharp teeth! I know, I had pet rats for a while. They're very cute, but those teeth...

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
larkl

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:32:53 am »

I've been very pleased with powerline networking.  Seemed to have a lot of wireless issues and didn't want to string cable.  Been using it (powerline) for a year and zero issues.  A bit pricey (~$50) per box and you need two.  Of course, 50 feet of cat5 might set you back a bit also. 
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:34:56 am »

I'm also a volunteer referb'ing old and discarded machine for donation to people who cannot afford computers.
Hi Paul: I do the same sort of work here in Victoria BC ( http://www.freewebs.com/facah ). We use a re-mastered version of VL 5.8 Standard Gold, that includes OO and a few simplifications to the installer that automatically creates two accounts with passwords, etc and simplifies the desktop icons a bit. It is not too difficult to remaster VectorLinux to your own tastes. I can assist by sending you our remastered VL or help you remaster if you like.

I have to make sure that it has a decent word processor (hoping for OpenOffice), email support, modem support, network support, web browser, CD support and can support printing.

Includes only Abiword, but OO can be downloaded and installed. Also includes SeaMonkey email, which is good. Modem support depends not on the software (provided) but the hardware. Most WinModems will NOT work so consequently modem support under any Linux system can be problematic. 90% of the modems we get donated are useless WinModems. WinModems with Connexant chipsets can use the Linuxant drivers though. Network support is automatic and easy. Printer support is via CUPS.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
paul.drover

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:05:29 am »

Hi Lagagnon, it certainly is nice to make contact with someone doing something similar. I would be very interested in your remastered VL and finding out more about how VL can be remastered.

Maybe we can talk details offline.

So, how many of us are doing this sort of thing? I've just started and I've a bunch of questions for people who are experienced at this kind of referb. work. Is there a separate forum? If there isn't, maybe there should be.

Thanks all,
Paul.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:28:30 am »

I've a bunch of questions for people who are experienced at this kind of referb. work.

I'd like to do that sort of thing, but haven't the time or space.  This guy "never_stop_learning" got a program going for the "Lions Club" (I think?) here in the States.  Sounds like they've come up with a neat system.  Haven't seen him around for a while though. Here's his profile, not that it says much  Cheesy
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?action=profile;u=1403
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:40:50 am by exeterdad » Logged
Rusty Guy

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 07:31:44 am »

Probably should count me in. I work in an adult literacy centre and have been looking at linux, esp. VL for both our own computers and some to pass on to students. Considering most of the needs are for a familiar web browser (firefox) and a familiar office suite (OO) it's worked well. I've a couple of dual boot units set up for tryouts by the students and half the time they can't tell what OS they're using.

BTW - I'm in S. Ontario Canada

Bryant

Hi Lagagnon, it certainly is nice to make contact with someone doing something similar. I would be very interested in your remastered VL and finding out more about how VL can be remastered.

Maybe we can talk details offline.

So, how many of us are doing this sort of thing? I've just started and I've a bunch of questions for people who are experienced at this kind of referb. work. Is there a separate forum? If there isn't, maybe there should be.

Thanks all,
Paul.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: