VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:47:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliases  (Read 1615 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: October 18, 2007, 04:47:58 pm »

This is more curiosity than anything else. Can someone tell me where basic aliases are defined?

I would normally expect them to be in /etc/profile, but they're not there. They're also not in ~/.bashrc. I've looked through the scripts in /etc/profile.d and can't find them there either. So I'm lost. Had the same problem under Slackware.

I can always add aliases to ~/.bashrc but I would love to know where the basic set is defined...

paul
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:13 pm »

This might help you:

http://www.dualisanoob.com/slack_102_tips.txt

Bigpaws
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:25:16 pm »

Thanks, that's a useful link. I'll have to bookmark it...

As it happens, I found the answer to my question. Aliases are defined in /etc/profile.d/coreutils-dircolors.sh. So if I want to add aliases that are system wide and available in login shells, that's the place to put them.

paul.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:22:46 am »

I am travelling and not on my Linux box at the moment but perhaps in a file called "profile.d" - can't remember the directory, so use "locate profile.d" to find it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: