VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It's Dead Jim  (Read 4164 times)

cintyram

• Packager
    • My Thoughts on Rails
Re: It's Dead Jim
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 10:41:33 pm »

If you are not going for gaming, make sure you buy stuff to build a machine that can take lots of RAM and has good processing power.  [ multi core 64 bit is good].

Dont make the same mistake i made. Dont go to Fry's if you are in the US. They are a bunch of Liars who go to any length to complete a sale.  The throw buzz words as if they are knowledgeable but they dont know squat. only one or two of all of them knows any thing.

All the best, and please do let us know what happens.
cheers
ram

Lyn

• Vectorian
Re: It's Dead Jim
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 02:37:16 am »

Coincidentally my main machine died earlier this week, over the weekend I will have a serious look at it, but it doesn't get past POST, well not even really start it.... my money is on a dodgy drive and possible onboard IDE failure, as IDE chanel 1 has been not recognising drives intermittently for some time (I made a data back up on Sunday fortunately).   If its just a drive then that is easy to fix, if not I will get a barebones machine from a local shop, far easier and not much more expensive than buying the bits.... will probably go to www.landofcomputers.uk.com for what I want.....
Pages: 1 [2]